Tuesday, October 19, 2010

High note.

So the cross country season is over.  The last race was Saturday.  A nice, sunny day, but the course was a little muddy.  The coaches were speculating that it was "slow," that there wouldn't be too many personal records set.

Enter Westlake.  Enter Emma.  Enter Leah.

"Slow" course, my foot.  You wanna talk personal bests?  Try on a 14:42 for Emma.  (That would be 55th out of 126 girls.)  How about a little 16:03 for Leah?  (85th) Yeah, not only did they each set a personal best, they beat it by 45 and 30 seconds!  Doesn't sound slow to me!

And our team won the SWC championships!

The only drawback was that for some reason there was no time clock at the finish line, so we didn't know the girls' times.  Based on some of the runners they beat, we knew they were doing pretty good, and when Emma finished, Glenn said, "I think she's under 15:00."  Nah, I said, that's too much to ask.  After everyone finished we were standing by the coach and I noticed she had a paper with everyone's times scribbled on it (the Westlake girls were coming in so fast and one right after another that she was having a hard time keeping up!).  I saw "Emma" and 14:42 and exclaimed--"Is that MY Emma???"  I had a hard time telling the girls how well they had done (they still had no idea at this point) because my {ahem} "allergies" started acting up right then.


They had the awards ceremony right after and it was so much fun to see the team together and to cheer for the champs.  The team went to CiCi's to celebrate.  I went to pick the girls up early and got to talk to the coach a little.  She had nothing but good things to say about the girls and was so impressed with their improvement.  She is excited they are doing track in the spring.  It was just such a good experience all around and I am loving seeing all the growth in my children.

Now, I am looking forward to a little less-hectic schedule (at least until track season), the bus bringing my children to me rather than me going out to retrieve them, and getting beat by a couple of twelve year-olds in some off-season 5K's.

Congratulations on a fantastic rookie season, Emma and Leah!

1 comments:

Portia said...

Most Excellent, ladies!!!
Any season that ends with a personal best (and dinner at CiCi's!) is a GREAT season!
Looking forward to the Spring!