We all knew it was coming. A huge storm. Snow, ice, rain, then back to snow. And it was going to hit late at night, so all the children across the viewing area were hoping for a snow day this morning. I told them that if ever there was a chance to get one, this was it. But still you can never be too sure...how many times have we been under a "Winter Storm Watch/Advisory/Warning (what's the difference, anyway???)" only to wake up to a light dusting.
As we all settled in for the night, the storm began. Snowing outside, tossing and turning inside. Minds racing, husbands snoring, falling in and out of sleep. A sick child, who was going to be staying home the next day regardless, crying out in the night. Stumbling through the dark house, comforting, climbing back into bed, the husband asking "So you're not getting up?" Dear, it's only 3:15. I have more than two hours of sleep left till that alarm buzzes. Phones ringing with a sub job, listening to see what job I won't be able to take, relieved that it's for the cafeteria cashier and I wouldn't have done it anyways, putting the phone down on the night stand. Settling back in for 15 more minutes. Rustling and rising from the other side of the bed. Footsteps tripping down the stairs. Husband's voice informing me that school has been cancelled. But we didn't get the call...That's because you never hung up the phone...Turning off the alarm. Pulling up the covers and falling back asleep.
I'm taking a snow day, too.
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
A stormy night.
Posted by Amy Franklin at 10:19 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yaaaaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnn!
Yea, let's all go back to bed!!
Snow days are for the birds :) It doesn't matter how much snow or how cold it gets, we ALWAYS have school--at least since my kids have been in school.
Post a Comment