Friday, March 18, 2011

I got this one in the bag.

First, a little background.

You all know that I have been subbing as for teachers and special education aides in our school district.  It's been going great.

Several teachers have asked me if I was on the certified sub list -- for the classroom teachers.  And although all our district requires is a bachelor's degree and $25, I was too scared to do it.  I don't have much of an education background, and didn't think I could do it.

Until the one day I walked into Andrew's classroom as a parent volunteer and got a load of the yahoo who was subbing for his teacher.  I have no idea where they found this guy.  Somewhere at the bottom of the barrel, I'm sure.  Basically I took over reading groups.  I got everyone settled, told the sub what he should be doing, and made sure the groups ran smoothly.  And I walked out of that room 45 minutes later thinking, I could totally do this.

So I filled out the form, tracked down my college transcripts, and dropped off my check at the board office.  A couple weeks later I got a call that I was approved and could start looking for jobs on the website.

Ok, I am sure nothing will come up, I thought.  I had just been talking to a classroom sub who said she had been having trouble finding jobs.  My expectations were very low.

But lo and behold--the very first night a job popped up.  The only thing was that is was at the junior high.  For the Spanish teacher.  What?  Nah, I could never.  Or could I?  My Spanish is probably at a 7th or 8th grade level...maybe I could...

After a careful consultation with my own two junior high-ers, I decided to accept the job.  I got lots of pointers from Leah about what not to do as a sub.  Basically don't talk to the students or try to be their friend.  Or speak in the foreign language in a high-pitched voice.  Ok, I can do this.  Especially with the approval of and encouragement from the kids.

I was nervous, but not as much as I thought I would be.  Maybe because I had no idea what to expect.  Would the kids be out of control?  Would I have to call for back up?  Would I have to give out demerits?  Would I get hit in the back of the head with a spit ball?

Well guess what?  Nothing happened.  There isn't even an exciting story to tell.  I was with 3 and a half periods, and not one kid acted up.  Everyone took their test and did their assignment quietly and then if they finished read a book or quietly chatted amongst themselves.  One kid did tell me that there was a camera behind the eyes of the life-sized poster of Edward in the back of the classroom that makes sure the subs do what they're supposed to, but other than that, the kids were well-behaved and very polite. One girl even told me she liked my bag as we walked out of the classroom.  What is this, the Twilight Zone?

So I'm sorry I don't have a dramatic tale of the chaos that you might expect a sub in a junior high to encounter.  But I'm no longer afraid to stand in for the classroom teacher.

And you better believe I'll have that bag with me.

Muchas gracias, estudiantes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You have more courage than me. I would never sub in jr. high. I started subbing after I saw some of the subs and realized how easy it was to be a sub. I wanted to be the one subbing for my kids, not the yahoo :) Good for you and good luck! I enjoyed it and miss it.

Unknown said...

BTW-that previous comment was Julie, not Keith ;P I am sitting on his computer.

thekerrclan said...

I'd take you as a sub anyday...and your bag...and I wouldn't even think of throwing spit balls.