Dear Mr. Principal, Mrs. Assistant Principal, Mr. Home Room Teacher and Mrs. Home Room Teacher,
Good morning--
Because of our family's values system, we do not watch R-rated movies--adults included. Emma and Leah made the choice to not participate in the viewing of the unedited version of "Last of the Mohicans" or any other subsequent R-rated movie at school. It is my understanding that the alternative activity for them is to spend the morning in the school library. This doesn't sound too fun, and as a parent I would like to reinforce and reward my children's tough and courageous decision rather then have them feel as though they are being punished. I am going to allow them to stay home from school Friday morning to relax and have some fun while their friends and classmates are relaxing and having fun watching the movie.
I understand that there are lots of fun activities planned for later that day. I will have Emma and Leah back to school at 11:00am.
I do not wish to cause any trouble or make too big of an issue, nor do I wish for any undue attention to come to the girls over this situation. I appreciate your sensitivity and support.
Interestingly enough, that movie is being shown in its edited form on network TV this week. We are recording it and will be watching it this weekend with the girls, so they will be able to participate in any classroom discussion.
Thank you again for your understanding.
Sincerely,
Amy Franklin
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
And with that, we went out to breakfast and did a little shopping.
Posted by Amy Franklin at 7:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Is this the actual letter you sent?
I hope so! You go Momma Bear!!
way to go amy!
You are so awesome!
We had our kids opt out and raised a stink about showing R rated movies in general to kids under 17. But we didn't do anything fun while they didn't participate.
I have been fighting the PG-13 and R-ratings since Sarah was in middle-school. At least I have only 2 1/2 years left. You are just getting started. Stick to it! You go, girl!!
Post a Comment