Friday, May 13, 2011

Evil Strep Mother?

Nope, not strep--just a nasty, painful sore throat that kept me in bed (actually on the couch) on Mother's Day.  Not only did it hurt REALLY BAD, but I didn't get to participate in all the day's festivities.

What I missed out on:

  • The peace I feel when I go to church.  Instead, I got a healthy dose of the neighbor's acid rock blasting through the open window.
  • Listening to the children sing to all the moms during Sacrament meeting.
  • Hearing Andrew give a talk in Primary.
  • Hanging out with the family at the Franklin's.
What I didn't miss out on:
  • A lovely gift and thoughtful cards from Glenn and the kids.
  • The delicious desserts the men provided us ladies at church.  Glenn brought home a heaping plate of chocolate cake and cheesecake.
  • The yummy meal the guys made for dinner.  Again, a tasty plate magically appeared before me and I gobbled it down.
  • The beautiful sunny weather.  Right there out the window.
  • A couple naps.  Always good to catch up on sleep.
If there's one thing we learn when we become mothers, it's that we've got to learn to go with the flow.  You have an idea of how things are going to go, and then it doesn't work out the way you expected it.  But if you can open your mind to the possibilities,  the end result might be better than what you had originally anticipated.

Because in all reality, what I got for Mother's Day was the entire day to myself.  Doing nothing.  Isn't that really all we ever want on our Big Day?

    4 comments:

    Glenn Franklin said...

    Glad you enjoyed your non-busy day. I think that you secretly prefer to have a packed schedule....Love you!

    Portia said...

    Go with the flow is much easier than going against it!

    jastalfam said...

    i like your paragraph on going with the flow. so true. a lesson i am being taught currently!

    Julie said...

    glad you could look at the bright side. do you watch the tv show, The Middle? they had a hilarious Mother's Day episode which your day reminded me of....