We first heard about the campaign stop on Facebook. Which is, of course, where you first hear about all good things. Mitt Romney himself was coming to Avon Lake High School and I wanted to go. Glenn and Mom and Dad were in too, and we easily signed up for tickets. We foolishly thought that the weather would keep people away and that we would be able to just saunter up to the metal detectors and find ourselves a nice place to sit on the gym bleachers. Yeah, no. The school parking lot and surrounding neighborhood streets were full. We had to walk a half mile through the wind and rain to get to the gym, only to discover that the line wound itself around the common room and right back outside the other side of the building. Mom and Dad were none too keen on standing out in the elements for who knows how long, but I was willing to brave the elements for the chance to see Mitt. The line was long, and kept getting longer, but it actually moved pretty quickly. So quickly in fact, that by the time Glenn realized we were inside in line he had to literally run to catch up with us right as we got to the metal detectors.
After we were inside, we discovered that the main gym where Mitt would be speaking was at capacity and we were being herded to the auxiliary gym. We all looked at each other, wondering what the point of being stuffed into this room was, when suddenly some guy got up and explained that Mitt would be passing through to say a few words to us on his way to give his speech, which we would then be able to hear from the other gym. So we'd get to see him after all! We decided to stay. After a quick trip to the Port-a-Potties for me and Dad, we positioned ourselves near an exit about five people back from the barricade.
And then we waited. Waited for an invocation, the National Anthem, the Pledge of Allegiance. Waited for local politicians to say their piece. Waited for a Cleveland Browns player to lend his support. Waited for the yappers in front of me to stop talking. Waited for the tall guy in the front row to move his head so I could get a good picture. Waited for friends of the yapper in front of me try to squeeze their way in next to us (it didn't work). Waited for the media to line themselves up. And then, finally! Here came Mitt!
I have been on board with his positions and proposals for a while now, but today I really got on board with him as a person. I immediately fell in love. He's good looking and Presidential. He's confident and has convictions. He thoughtfully asked that we remember those who would be affected by Hurricane Sandy by making a donation to the Red Cross. And even though the auxiliary gym was not his ultimate destination, he took the time to shake hands with those of us who were close enough to reach him (not me, unfortunately). Yes, I understand he is a politician running for a Very Big Office. He is trained in the art of trying to make people like him.
Well, I fell for it hook, line and sinker.
Let me rephrase that. I don't think I've fallen for anything. I've done my research and have weighed my election options. I'm supporting Mitt because I like what he's offering and he's got a great track record. But it was a thrill to see in person that the candidate I will be voting for was as dynamic and compelling as I wanted him to be.
I made the brisk walk back to the car on a total high, trying hard to hold back some tears. It was a true rock star/celebrity moment for me. What an awesome, unforgettable experience to see up close someone who by next week could be the leader of the Free World.

.jpg)

2 comments:
Hey my mom was there too! she got VIP tickets so she was in the main gym in the bleachers behind where he spoke. like 2 rows up from him
I think it can be said that you too are good looking and Presidential.
Post a Comment