Friday, November 6, 2009

4th Grader's Got Talent

So today was the annual Holly Lane Veteran's Day assembly. Despite the immediate drama of (a) finding out that the new music teacher had told the kids that the Coast Guard was not a "real" branch of the armed forces and that she had been planning to leave their song out of the line up and (b) the principal deciding to take away the honor of posting the colors away from the Girl Scouts who had been practicing all week thus leading to some major tears, I thought that it was going to be a typical, run-of-the-mill ceremony. Sure, I knew I'd get choked up as always--I can't even handle everyone saying the Pledge of Allegiance, let alone hundreds of children singing God Bless America--but I was there to sit back and enjoy the show.

Brooke and her fellow Peace Ambassadors greeted the guests at the door.
And Andrew was sporting a snazzy patriotic hat.


And then there was this (grab some tissues, Grandma):


Let me just say that it got pretty difficult to hold the camera with tears streaming down my face. When it was over, Jill turned to me and exclaimed, "I didn't know she had a solo!" My response? "Neither did I!" In fact, Brooke herself just found out this morning. What composure! And what a sweet voice!

Then it was time for the songs of the armed forces. And up in the front I see Andrew walking in holding the Air Force emblem. Watch him wave it high for our veterans (a little shout out to Grandpa Brooks, perhaps?). And notice that the children do in fact sing the Coast Guard song.


Who knew I'd go from being a nameless face in the crowd to the proud parent of a couple of elementary school superstars?

Boy, I picked a good day to fix Brooke's hair.

11 comments:

Jill said...

i just cried all over again.

thekerrclan said...

I think it's awesome that they do this.

Peggy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peggy said...

My kids went to Holly Lane years ago but I don't remember a program for Veterans. This was very special and brought tender feelings for our service men and women. The solo was great ...how proud you must be! A co-worker found out early this morning that his son was one of the soldiers killed at Fort Hood...what a tragedy. I am thankful for our military and their sacrifices for our freedom. Thanks for posting this.

annahannah said...

Brooke has a lovely voice. I loved the veteran's tribute. I can't believe that they were going to exclude the coast guard. Maybe because we haven't had an invading army.

Portia said...

No words for this one!!! (Tears can't talk) I did hear a few buttons bustin', though.

Perfectly awesome, Brooke!!



(Is there a song for the Merchant Marines? That was Greatgrandpa Morton's branch.)

Betty said...

Brooke, you did a great job! We were able to hear each word as you sang out. It must be from all your practice with the ward choir :-)

Katrina said...

Awesome, Amy! What a fun surprise. She sings beautifully. None of my kids would even volunteer or be asked to solo! ;)

Julie said...

She did an awesome job! We hope that when she is a famous rock star, she will give us back stage passes :)

Andrew did great, too!

Katie said...

that was beautiful! what a great tribute!

Emma said...

I cannot believe that they would exclude the Coast Guard. Some of the words were wrong, but it was good all the same. Good job Brooke and Andrew.