Monday, May 28, 2012

North vs. South

There is a great tradition at the junior high for the 8th graders.  After a year of studying U.S. History, it all culminates with a huge Civil War Ball.  There is a grand march,


there are hoop skirts, there is dancing,

 (please forgive the breaks in the video...it was the only way I could get stills and still record)

there is a lovely a capella rendition of the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," there is a drill team,
there is drama, and there is pageantry.  But despite all the gaiety, we sometimes found ourselves on the other side of the battle lines.

Those who made appointments at the salon to get their hair done vs. Those who had their hair styled in their bathroom by a clueless mother who had done extensive research about Civil War hairstyles on youtube and used copious amounts of bobby pins and hair spray.
Those who purchased a professional portrait package and had a sitting in the makeshift studio at the school vs. Those who reluctantly smiled for their mother as she snapped away in the front yard, drawing the attention of onlookers as they drove by and some friends who were at the church.

Those who crowded the narrow yet trendy streets of Crocker Park vs. Those who smartly chose Friendly's and had the whole restaurant for themselves and their friends.

{no pictures allowed}

I am glad that we were not held slave to the going social norms of the day.  The girls looked beautiful and did a lovely job dancing the Virginia Reel.  They had a fun time with their friends, and I didn't sweat in the hot, crowded gym nearly as much as I thought I would!  Glory, glory, hallelujah!  It really was a special night.

1 comments:

The Lovely One said...

What fun! It reminds me of our 5th grade trip to Yosemite!