Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"Of Things That Matter Most"

In the October General Conference, we were counseled to "slow down a little, steady the course, and focus on essentials."  I am taking this counsel to heart this holiday season.

Last year when we put up the tree, I was in a bad mood.  But this year, I decided to be in a good mood.  A desicion to not worry about the mess, the arguing, the need for everything to look perfect.  A decision to savor the decorating, clutter, music, lights, and kids.  A decision to focus on what matters most.

What doesn't matter most this holiday season?

The fact that the strings of lights on the tree don't all match.

The fact that we don't have enough time this year to go cut a real tree.

The fact that our fake tree loses as many needles as a real one.

The fact that I still don't have all the decorations up and everything is a mess.

The fact that little creatures got into the ornament box and ate all the tissue I wrapped my brass ornaments in.  (And that I seriously think they ran off with my little angel's bell.)

The fact that I look really tired in this picture, that I am wearing an XL T-shirt of Glenn's, and that half of us are in our PJ's already, and that it took a long time to get the kids settled enough to get one at least this decent (how old are these guys?).

Psst...notice anything different about Brooke?  Maybe that she has bangs now?  She cut them herself.  Yesterday morning.  Without asking.  And I didn't notice until today.  We could explore this in its own blog post, but I'm not sure I want to analyze what this says about me as a mother.  Or about Miss Independent herself.

What does matter most?

The fact that I love the majority of my Christmas decorations.

The fact that we all laugh to Elf as it's playing in the background.

The fact that Glenn is a kind and loving husband who is willing to tackle the lights and make adjustments as I see fit.

The fact that Leah was so excited to put the angel on the tree all by herself.

The fact that my kids love to do more together than just annoy each other. 

The fact that putting out all my nativity sets helps me think to that wonderful night when the Savior of the world was born.

I'm not saying I wasn't very ready to be done for the evening and for the kids to scoot off to bed (if you catch my drift), but last night was a great start to my holiday season.  This year I really am going to focus on what matter most.  I want to "make the changes necessary to refocus [my] life on the sublime beauty of the simple, humble path of Christian discipleship--the path that always leads toward a life of meaning, gladness, and peace."  Treasuring my family.  Serving others.  And celebrating the birth and life of the Son of God.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

3 comments:

Peggy said...

I know we've only met once (Westlake/North Olmstead Ward reunion here in Utah) but I enjoy reading the posts about your family. This post is especially touching; thank you. Glen is a blessed man to have found such a wonderful wife.

thekerrclan said...

I think your tree is beautiful..mismatched lights and all. It would go quite nicely with my cottonball handprint ornaments that I think are supposed to look like Santa? And your picture is great. In fact. You. Are. Great.

PS -- don't be surprised if I use a line for your blog on our Christmas card. Assuming I get around to actually sending cards this year. :)

Gail said...

It was fun and touching to read your Christmas post! Everyone in the picture looks Great! Now one of my family is moving back to Ohio . . . so maybe in years to come we'll be back to see your beautiful tree with mismatched lights. Love Gail