About a month ago I got an email from the Cleveland Cavaliers (we stay in touch) saying that I could enter a lottery to be able to buy playoff tickets. Of course I entered...nothing to lose, right? Then a couple weeks later I got an email saying I had won for the first round against the Wizards. I didn't really know what the whole deal was, so I let the opportunity slip by and the tickets were sold out. Another email came for a later game, but the schedule hadn't been nailed down yet with all the other games going on, so we were worried it might end up being on a Sunday. So we decided to pass. Cavs beat the Wizards, on to Round 2. Again an email came, this time for Game 4 against the Celtics. We decided to go for it, and bought ourselves 2 tickets (much to Andrew's chagrin, who desperately wanted to go, but 8:00 on a school night and $XX per ticket is too much for a little boy).
I was a little worried when the Cavs beat the Celtics in game 3. That was the game I wanted to be at. Sure, I was happy they won, but were the odds in their favor to win another? I desperately wanted to be at a winning game. Glenn assured me that the Cavs were down 2-0 against the Pistons last year and came back to win it all and advance...so surely it would be a victorious night.
We decided to make a whole night of it and get some food before the game. Gayle, Oprah's best friend, recently visited some restaurants on Esquire magazine's list of the best sandwiches in the country. And Oprah made a whole show out of it. There were even some celebrity chefs and a sandwich making competition that I found myself wanting to be a part of. Out of my desire for a buttery, melty, bready treat came the suggestion that we hit Melt in Lakewood on our way downtown.
Your gasps are audible, dear readers. I know, I know--why on earth would I subject my body to yet another artery-clogging, fat-laden meal so soon with swim suit season less than six weeks away? Let me reassure you that I basically did not eat at all Monday in preparation for this meal. And I burned another 500 calories on the treadmill, both yesterday and today and will continue to do so everyday this week. And if I gain a couple pounds despite my efforts...who cares! It was so worth it. Ham, turkey, havarti, and swiss...melt-in-your-mouth goodness. I highly recommend it.
But I digress...Andrew has reminded me that this is about basketball, not sandwiches. On to the game!
There is nothing like playoff fever. You can't help but get caught up in it. Everyone cheering, giving each other high-fives, fans around you fighting off nosebleeds because you are in the very last row in the uppermost section (notice the wall behind us, not more rows of fans).

But really, the seats are not that bad. You can see everything and there is always the jumbotron.

I got some video of Lebron throwing the powder that he does before every game. Sorry so shaky-it's hard to have a steady hand when you are zooming in from so far away.
It was a great game. The Cavs were up pretty much the whole time. The details as usual are fuzzy for me...Andrew asked how many 3-point shots Wally Szczerbiak made and I couldn't tell him. I have no recollection of most of the plays or the stats or who did what. That is Glenn's job. I am sure you will be able to read all about that side of the game in his Secret Public Journal. All I know is that Wally scored a bunch of 3's, that I got some funny looks from my neighbors when I said "Don't shoot!" when Varejao had the ball (ask Glenn-he'll tell you it was some good advice), that Lebron made an AMAZING dunk over Kevin Garnett to seal the deal in the 4th quarter.
When that happened, the crowd did indeed go nuts. They went to time out right after, so they showed that shot over and over on the big screen, and in this clip you can hear the roar each time we saw it.
Love this video of Lebron dancing...how can you not like the guy?
And in the end, this says it all.....
I got to "witness" a Cleveland Cavaliers playoff victory. Who says the lottery is a bad thing?








5 comments:
I can't believe you were there!! Jake is going to be SO jealous. Did the announcer in that YouTube video say, "LeBron James, with no regard to human life..." when he made that dunk? Hehe! I wish I could have gone to Melt with you. Loved that place! Glad you had such a fun time. I was pretty much crying as I read that post because it sounded like so much fun.
How fun for you guys, Amy! Kevin is totally jealous (even though his team is not the Cavs!--He's rootin' for his Jazz--we'll see what they can do!)
In New York, we ate at a little French bistro and I had a croque monsieur sandwich. The ham and cheese on buttered sourdough bread and THEN smothered in a yummy cream white sauce. As if! It was a really good splurge--so was my BIG cookie! ;)
Glad you had such a great game experience. Sometimes those are only once in a lifetime.
I am JEALOUS! I signed up for that lottery too - -but have never received any opportunities to purchase tickets. We were at a game 6 with Detroit a couple of years ago - -when they lost by 2. It was heart-breaking. How fun to be there for a win! Go CAVS!
That picture of me is terrible (and it was my arm holding out the camera). Good thing you are also in that picture for eye candy. Thanks for coming with me and having the "experience" with me. The Q, where 23 happens!
How awesome!!! That is so cool that you guys got to go there! Way to go getting the tickets... quite a good date, I'd have to say.
Post a Comment