Monday, January 26, 2009

Brick wall, meet my head

I've been doing this for almost 11 years. And you would think by now, I'd have it down. Something would have clicked, all the bugs would have been worked out, it would become like clockwork. But still, after more than a decade of children, my house looks like this:


I just don't know how it happens. We spent all Saturday morning (and then some) doing chores. We were out of the house practically all day yesterday. And five days a week, the kids are gone more than seven hours. It's just me here--am I really that messy? What do I do all day?

Over the years I have come up with organization and storage strategies in the hopes of tackling the clutter. The children have ample space for their clothes. There are baskets and boxes and shelves. I frequently ask the kids to fill a grocery bag with items from their room to just throw away. Yet still, I am overwhelmed by the clutter.

But I am not giving up. Oh no--I will keep trying, inch by messy inch, to get this house under control. My latest endeavor was the front closet. This is where the children keep their backpacks and mittens/gloves/hats/scarves. The rickety shelving system I had put in just wasn't cutting it. The backpacks are too big, the cubbies too small, and this led to never being able to close the closet door (one of my pet peeves).

I needed a custom closet solution. Enter Glenn. My handy hero.

Really it was quite simple. Just two shelves that run the length of the closet. Wide enough for big backpacks. That's all I needed. I think Glenn was ready to run with an elaborate shelving set-up, but I reigned him in and he built just what I needed:



Simple, yet satisfying. I love that I can close the door. At least for now. The backpacks are currently out of the house, and we'll see what happens after the afternoon rush.

My expectations are kind of low. In hopes that they might actually be fulfilled. A decade of effort without much to show for it has kind of jaded me.

6 comments:

Shelly said...

Those pics could totally be of my house. I just love you. Thanks for Keeping it real! You could spend your whole life every day cooking, cleaning , grocery shopping,doing and folding laundry. But if you did you would miss the really important stuff. Good luck organizing! The closet looks great.

Lisa said...

The messy version of your house still looks better than the clean version of mine! I really need to go through my house and junk half of everything we have (and don't need).

Good job on the closet. Looks great!

thekerrclan said...

Thanks for always making me feel so normal! (As I sit here in the office...attempting to file, dig through the junk and start working on taxes. (Which, for the record, I SWEAR I just finished!) Clutter overwhelms any flat surface in our house --only one more reason we'll never have a coffee table!

Just Lisa said...

Ah, yes. I have less than three years with children under my belt, so I see no relief in the near future. I am taking tomorrow off of work just so I can clean my house!

Malissa said...

You've got a new system. Looks Beautiful!!! Now if the kids will cooperate, finish their training course, and follow through. That's the challenge at our house :)

Nikki said...

My house looks like that too!!Love the closet.