Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Reality Bites

I spent far too long in the dream world of sweats, sleeping in, and stuffing my face.

I made some futile attempts at exercising here and there, hoping to offset the thousands of calories I was consuming. And at one point last week, once the crowds had died down around here, I thought I might hop back on to the healthy train a little early. Get a head start on the new year and all its accompanying resolutions. That lasted a day. Still too many cookies and kids and laziness.

Yesterday it was all over.

I was up before dawn, sweating it out on the treadmill. Today I went back to my early morning exercise class after a three-month hiatus. I have not consumed any refined sugar or white flour in the past 36 hours. And it kind of stinks.

But, just like with high school or college, we have to move on from our glory days of revelling and gluttony. It's in the past now, fun to reflect on now and them, but in our wisdom and maturity we know it can't last forever.

Time to grow up and face reality.

And maybe - hopefully - be able to button up those jeans again.

7 comments:

Julie said...

I am exercising, but there are still some Christmas treats around. That is not good.

thekerrclan said...

I need to jump on that train...and will...as soon as I get more than 3 hours of consecutive sleep...

Katrina said...

Sigh! Feeling your pain, Amy! And feeling my tighter jeans. To the gym bright and early for me!

Malissa said...

I feel you. Our brand new treadmill broke and we took it back to Costco. Just a few weeks of not exercising and overindulging in the food can make a huge difference in the waist!! Glad you're back on the band wagon!! I hope to be on again soon.

Unknown said...

I am in denial. Long live Christmas!

Jill said...

Um.... it's been a while. A new post, please!

Katrina said...

Hey, I tried to email you something, but it has returned. The last email I have for you is/was ablemom4@juno
Send me your current one, K!
kevnkoi at hotmail dot com