Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Prodigal Blogger Returns

I am back.

Through a series of unfortunate events, we have been internet-less around here for the past three weeks. Not by choice, mind you, but it was how the fates would have it. I checked my email and quickly consulted my Google Reader at various locations around town, but was not able to update my blog. And for those of you who wait with baited breath for each update and do not feel complete without your daily dose of my daily life--please accept my sincerest apologies.

Without the high-speed distraction, I had to sow my wild oats in the real world.

We had a couple of these:



And we finally finished this:


On the snowy and cold weekends we made (and heartily consumed) this:





Popcorn made on the stove...what a novel idea for my kids!

There was plenty of time for this:


And we tried to avoid being impaled by one of these:

It was wild there, for a while. I still found myself glancing at the computer everytime I walked by, wondering if there was a new email or blog post. But eventually, that did go away. And in some ways, being disconnected simplified things. I couldn't look up a recipe I was thinking of, but I could clean my kitchen counters. And sink. Or family room. I wasn't able to check the morning headlines, but I could sit at the table to eat breakfast instead of at the computer. And read. Or talk to the kids. The internet connects us with the world, but distances us from the responsibilities and relationships right in front of us.

And so, while I am extremely grateful to be back online (very helpful when you're the PTA corresponding secretary, for example), I hope to remember that my virtual life does not always need my utmost attention. Maybe then my nephew will make it to the bathroom on time. And Andrew will do his homework and checklists like he should. And I can keep the house from looking like this:

Who am I kidding. I could get rid of internet, television and phone, and the house would still be a pig sty. That is the real real world.

It's good to be back.

6 comments:

Jill said...

I definitely fall into the category of people who do not feel complete without a daily dose of your daily life so I am very happy you're up and running again. I do not envy your weather but it looks like you made the most of it!

Portia said...

Add me to that category! Although some of us don't have much "right in front of us", your statement is profound. Love it. Love the update! Thanks from those of us starved for news of any kind from anywhere other than Washington, D.C.

"The internet connects us with the world, but distances us from the responsibilities and relationships right in front of us."

Max and Deborah said...

Nice to have you back.

Katrina said...

Glad you're back. Sheesh, our internet was down last week for about 4 hours and I thought I was going to die.
You need to write a book or something, Amy. Some great quotes and truths you've got here.
And in case you missed it, we have a new president! ;)

thekerrclan said...

I sure am glad you put that last part in...about the house being a mess even without technology! I've got to feel normal!

Julie said...

Welcome back! I like to think of my house as "lived in" not a pig sty. Maybe I am deluding myself.