Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mommy brain strikes again.

A little math equation for you...

This...

plus this...


multiplied by this...

divided by this...


....can only equal one thing.

Me, locked out of my car, in the Marc's parking lot, in a snow storm.

All I was trying to do is be productive. I dropped Emma and Leah off at school so that they wouldn't have to wait for the bus in the snow, and ran up to Marc's for some essentials before my friend dropped her kids off for me to babysit.

I thought I would further my productivity by starting the car before loading the groceries. As soon as I shut the door, I knew what I had done. And there I was, in freezing, blowing, blustery, lake-effect snow. With a cart full of groceries.

I grabbed the first person I saw and asked to use her cell phone. I called Melissa, gave her the code to our garage, and asked her to bring up the spare set of keys. She quickly agreed (my hero!). But her needing to navigate a three foot tall snow drift blocking the way to the side of my house and very bad roads left me with a bit of a wait in the elements.

At first, no one paid me any attention. Meaning, no one asked if I was ok or needed any help. Did they not notice the drifts accumulating around my milk and eggs or my completely snow-covered jeans? Did they think I was just trying to get some fresh air? Waiting for a cab? I guess in a snow storm everyone kind of keeps to themselves. Until a little old lady asked if I was alright. And then two guys offered to give me a lift. Um, yeah, I think I'm good here. I'll risk frostbite rather than hop in a car with you, buddy.

And then, off in the distance, I caught sight of Melissa's car. Help had arrived! My savior was here. And the rest is history. I have a new-found respect and appreciation for my children who wait for their buses in this nasty weather. And I was pretty sure my cheeks were frostbitten. And that I had lost a couple of toes.

I need a vacation.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what I am going to get you for Christmas.

Portia said...

I don't know what's funnier...your story or Keith's comment! Dad & I both laughed out loud!!!

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. (At least you did have one of the kids in the car!!)

thekerrclan said...

I hate when my efforts at productivity end like that! Gotta love how friendly people are...thank goodness for Melissa!

An said...

I just asked Keith tonight if we could relocate to somewhere warm.

Katrina said...

Oh, days like that! And insensitive people! Good thing you wrote it down for posterity. ;)