The 6th graders around these parts have a week-long trip to an outdoor camp each fall. Our family will be sending TWO 6th graders, which means we are responsible for TWO fees of $250. Yeah. For those who are having trouble keeping up, that means $500 smackers. We told the girls they would have to work a bit to help offset costs.
During one phone conversation with my mom, I happened to mention how obscenely expensive the camp is. Leave it to Grandma to come up with a brilliant plan: a jewelry sale! She headed up to the Galt flea market to stock up on necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and headbands at wholesale prices. I threw in some of my bracelets and handmade reversible ribbon headbands. Mom walked the girls through the process step-by-step--advertising, overhead costs, price points, sale ettiquette. The girls went through the neighborhood handing out flyers, sent emails, and set up for the sale. They labeled the items, took money, and made change. They even did a little bit extra selling of water bottle carriers at Andrew's baseball game (with a lot of help from Syndey!).
And so, in about 14 hours over three days, Emma and Leah earned enough money to cover the cost of one camper! I was amazed and impressed and incredibly grateful to Grandma for the brilliant idea and the loving execution. I am also impressed with Emma's and Leah's work ethic and willingness to help out in their own behalf. I know they will appreciate and remember this experience so much more because of the part they played in getting themselves to camp.
{I think they will also remember those "America's Got Talent" and "SYTYCD" performances Grandma inspired during down time! Wink, wink}
and our bank account!

5 comments:
I love the Galt flea market! I wish they had it on the weekend so I didn't have to take a day off to go!
Now camp will be even more enjoyable because they earned their way there. Good job with that hard work!
Nothing like earning some dough. The girls did a great job, although they may want careers somewhere outside of the sales arena after this! Thanks to all who helped--and all the shoppers!!!
Way to go!! What a great way to learn some real world business skills! Have all of you convinced your parents to move yet? I'm sure each visit gets them closer!
WOW! Very impressive! Maybe they can give my kids some pointers for next year when they need scout and girls camp money.
Post a Comment