Last night we had a swim meet against Bay Village. Typical meet. The girls each had three events. I was a first-half timer.
I happened to be timing the lane Emma was in for her 50 free. As she stepped on the block, I told her, "Head down on the entry and KICK!" She was looking strong as she headed down to the other end of the pool. She did her flip turn and began the final lap. At this point I realized, Hey--she is in the lead here! I don't know if it was a conflict of interest for a timer to be crazily cheering on the swimmer in her lane, especially with the meet official very nearby, but I kind of didn't care. Emma finished in first place, shaving a whole second off her time! She won't be getting any ribbons, since it was Heat 2, but what a boost to have a first place finish after lots and lots of - shall we say - not first place finishes.
Leah had a bit of excitement in her 50 Breast, too. She was also swimming in Heat 2, but happened to be the only girl. So they stuck her in with the boys (ewwww). She was cruising right along and - oh yeah - beat TWO of the boys! Take that, dudes!
Things sure are going swimmingly around here.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
A swimming FIRST
Posted by Amy Franklin at 11:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That was very exciting for both...good racing girls!
Way to go ladies!!! I am proud of you!! Give it your all at the final meet. I'll be cheering!
I have done my share of cheering on my children when being a timer whether they were in my lane or not. You have every reason to be excited and cheer! Way to go girls! Nicole swam the IM a couple weeks ago with girls and boys. She beat some boys there, too. Isn't that cool?
Post a Comment