Last night Leah mentioned that her teacher kept talking to the students about how busy their parents are. And Leah was concerned because it just doesn't seem like Glenn and I are that busy. I chuckled and told her that I didn't realize how busy my parents were until I was a parent myself.
But I have to say, I did pick up a thing or two as a kid.
Because today, when I tackled this beast--I knew just what to do. My mom happened to call while I was hacking away at the ice. "Do you have pots of boiling water?" Yep. "You know you can use your hair dryer too." Got it. See, I learned from the best when it comes to defrosting freezers.
I don't expect my kids to notice that the freezer needs defrosting, or pick up on the fact that I took a garden shovel to it, or realize that it took me the better part of two and a half hours to get everything back together.
But I hope a little of whatever it is I do around here all day might rub off on my kids.
And not just the ice cream eating and TV watching either.
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Taking a break from the bon bons and soaps.
Posted by Amy Franklin at 8:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
The secret to not having this be a 2 1/2 hour job, is to not let 2 1/2years go between defrostings! I speak from experience!!!
(Mom, from Jill's site)
I think the teachers mention how busy the parents are to either assuage their own feelings or other parent's feelings when they do not make time to spend with their children. It seemed like the time that parents had (way back in my PTA years) diminished as the children grew. It only seems like you are not busy to your kids because you make them a priority. Keep up the god work!
Ooops. That may have been Freudian --- if I had capitalized it--I meant "good" work.
Can you come defrost mine? It really needs it and I just don't have the time right now!
Post a Comment