Friday, January 29, 2010

And so the day that started out really, really bad ended up being really, really good.

The potential was there. The potential for a horrible, terrible, no-good, very bad day. It started at 6 am when my alarm went off and I seriously considered breaking my date with the treadmill. It was way too early and way too dark and way too cold to be out of bed. But I went down and served my sentence of forty some-odd minutes.

And then I had a nasty run-in with the scale.

I'm not going to go into details, but let's just say that this week some major effort was put into getting that scale to move in the opposite direction. To no avail. Trust me when I say that it was not good. What I felt like doing was stuffing my face and then crawling back into bed.

All the makings of a lousy day.

But instead of getting worse, it just kept getting better.

Glenn was off today, so we went out to breakfast after we got the kids off to school. Some uninterrupted face-to-face time over my favorite but often unappreciated meal of the day.

While at breakfast, Glenn decided he wanted to look for shoes. My husband wants to go shopping? How awesome is that? And I decided that I wanted new jeans to fit my rapidly and inexplicably expanding body. So we went shopping. And I bought jeans. Retail therapy--always good.

A friend had surgery last week, and another friend and I took a bunch of food over to her. We ended up staying for three hours. Nothing like a little service and some heartfelt conversation to cheer you up.

Then there was pizza and movie night. I know, I know, enough with the pizza and movie night already. But tonight was especially good. (Probably most of all because it wasn't at my house!) Our discussions covered everything from the Biggest Loser (did Melissa really throw the weigh-in?), to the State of the Union address, haircuts, Washington D.C. tourism, and gallbladder attacks. We hashed and rehashed (and in some cases hashed again) until we could hash no more. So very satisfying.

Once we got home, the girls and I watched Project Runway, and then we escorted the children to bed. A nice, quiet house. A hot chocolate night cap. With the hazelnut flavored creamer I swiped from the restaurant this morning. Heaven.

As I sat there next to Glenn and we sipped the divine creation that is the chocolate-and-hazelnut combination, I realized that this was a pretty doggone awesome day.

And there was nothing that some loathsome, lying, defective scale could do about it.

2 comments:

Portia said...

I've decided scales have nothing to do whatsoever with our weight. No, they are tied to the national debt....and just keep creeping up, up, up.....so, there's another thing that's Obama's fault!!!

thekerrclan said...

I agree on the scale issue - -never my friend...especially the weeks I try the hardest. How many times can I tell myself "I must have gained some muscle?" and still look myself in the eye?
PS - Thanks for a fun day/night!