A couple years ago our city sent out a notice saying that they were no longer recycling glass. Bummer, I thought. Our recycling program is pretty sad to begin with, now I've got to chuck my spaghetti sauce and pickle jars in the trash? That stinks. But what's a girl to do? Nothing but chuck her spaghetti sauce and pickle jars in the trash.
Fast-forward a few years (two maybe?) to last week. PTA meeting. The president brings up the fact that she would like to start a recycling program at the school. For cans, plastic, and glass. I promptly raised my hand and asked how the school would be able to recycle glass if the city doesn't? Um, Amy, they repealed the no-glass decree about a month after issuing it. Noooo, I said. I am a responsible citizen who recycles every newsletter the city sends out right after reading the entire thing! No, no, this city doesn't recycle glass!
Yes. It does.
So now not only have I been needlessly filling our landfills with spaghetti sauce and pickle jars, I admitted it to the entire PTA.
Sorry dear city and landfill where you haul my garbage. Sorry Al Gore. Sorry NBC's Green Week. Sorry melting polar ice caps. Sorry Earth Day. Sorry clear-cut rainforests. Sorry sustainable food chefs on Top Chef. Sorry starving children in Africa (I'm sure they're affected by this too).
You will never see one of my spaghetti sauce or pickle jars in a landfill again.
P.S. We really don't eat a lot of pickles around here (like none, actually)...but I couldn't think of anything else that comes in a jar. Maybe my carbon footprint isn't that big after all.
Friday, May 7, 2010
Open mouth, insert socially unconscious foot.
Posted by Amy Franklin at 11:36 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I wouldn't worry about---Al's not--he's busy with his new multi-million dollar home right on the ocean that he says will rise because the ice cap is melting and flood us all out. Except him, I guess.
I'm BIG on recycling, too. Kinda bugs me on trash day when I'm out jogging early in the morning and I see how much garbage people are throwing away. I pay $10 a month twice a month to have a guy come get our stuff.
In Feb. when my mom was out to help me dejunk and get the house on the market, she just wanted me to throw tons of stuff away. I couldn't do it. She was a little annoyed because it took up time that we could have been working on other things. But I was so proud that I recycled everything that could have been--and STILL got the house on the market! ;)
We've made up for pickles jars in what lacks at your house. Holy cow, all the boys and Kevin LOVE pickles. I just think, meh.
Post a Comment