How come all of our traditions seem to revolve around food? Pizza and movie night, Sunday dinners, pfefferneuse at Christmas...well here's another one for you. This time involving breakfast. Somehow I got started making crepes every Friday morning.
My advice to you? Make some. Seriously, this is a tradition you should definitely consider.
Too fancy-schmancy for you?
I submit that it is not.
In fact, here is the recipe. I'm not even pulling out the recipe book to copy it down. It's so easy that it is already burned into my memory.
1 1/2 C. milk
1 c. flour (Try whole wheat!! You'll love it and you will feel so good about how healthy you are)
2 eggs
a little oil (I never measure this. Just pour a little in. Probably a tablespoon.)
Wisk it all up. The batter will be really thin. Heat up a skillet (medium heat), spray it with Pam, and pour a little batter in. Pick up the pan and swoop it around so that the batter spreads nice and thin in the bottom. Let it cook a couple minutes and flip it out on to a plate.
And now comes the fun part. The fillings. The kids prefer strawberries. This is the usual school-morning filling. And how healthy is that? You have your dairy, your protein, your healthy grains, and a fruit! I mean, come on. But you can have some fun with it too. The kids got to add a little chocolate syrup on top this morning. For Emma's and Leah's slumber party breakfast we had the works...chocolate and vanilla pudding, strawberries and bananas, and whipped cream! The girls had a great time building the perfect crepe.
But don't stop there, my friends. How about some Nutella? Hello! Or a peanut butter and banana crepe? With a tad bit of hot fudge (because the kids used all the chocolate syrup)? Heat a little peanut butter in the microwave, pour it over sliced bananas, dab the hot fudge on top and dig in. Seriously folks.
Now of course, there was no time during our busy morning to have a crepe photo shoot, so all I can do is offer solid proof that this is the true breakfast of champions...
But you don't have to take my word for it. Go on. Make some for yourself. Come up with some creative fillings and tell me about it. I'll read all of your comments after I get my kitchen cleaned up.
Friday, May 7, 2010
A word of advice.
Posted by Amy Franklin at 8:32 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
We once tried hot apple pie filling (from a can of course). Topped with whipped cream. Mmmm.... Or you can cook your own apples and sprinkle a little cinnamon into the mix!
Amy,
We make Swedish Pancakes in our home and they are OH SO GOOD! They have sugar in them, so they are a bit different tasting (better in my book! ;)
Anyway, I can eat about 7 in one sitting..not good for the waistline, but so good in the belly! Oh and we put butter in it, followed by powdered sugar..roll it up and then put syrup on top! YUMMY!
Ok, how many Fridays will I be at your house next visit???
And would you believe we make crepes about once a week, too. Whole wheat no doubt. And the boys favorite (mine, too) is banana and Nutella. What a heavenly treat. We often have it for dinner! Have you ever just spread Nutella on, then like a hot dog, put a whole banana in and wrap it up. That's the boy's new favorite. I love that they really are healthy!
Post a Comment