Wednesday, August 11, 2010

...from the High Sierras...

My mother and I were feeling adventurous (or slightly out of our minds) and decided to take the kids camping in Yosemite National Park. Sans husbands/dads/grandpa.  I had never gone camping without a man fairly close by.  Even girls camp has priesthood there at all times.  But the men were working hard for the money, so we headed 'em up and moved 'em out.  Girl power!

The campsite was so small that there is not much more to it than you see in this picture. Just a picnic table and a small fire pit. We weren't sure the tent would fit.
Of course, Yosemite Valley was gorgeous, and they so thoughtfully paved many of the hiking paths. We made our way to many of the geological landmarks the first day.
The second day, we thought we'd be a little more daring and try the hike to Vernal Falls.
The first half of the trail was still paved, yes, but when you climb 1000 feet in elevation in just one and a half miles...that is one steep hike. In fact, at the half-way point, seen here--

--the trail changes into "steps" that lead the rest of the way up to the falls.  These weren't a nicely constructed staircase, however.  It was roughly hewn stones that ascend right up the side of the falls.  In a very narrow, dramatic fashion.  Grandma bowed out and decided to wait for us near the footpath bridge.  I, for one, was determined to make it to the top.  I had seen beer-bellied men, a lady with an orthopedic boot, and parents carrying preschoolers in their arms pass me by, and by golly, if it was good enough for them, it was good enough for me.  The only problem was getting my four mini hiking companions on board.  They decided they were up for the challenge, only to change their minds after a few feet of steepness.  Only to decide that OK, we can go a little farther.  Then the "master hiker" (Andrew, who was in the lead) turned around and said, "Well, if the girls want to go back, I would go..."  I thought that was it.  I couldn't send them back down to Grandma on their own, and I didn't want to continue hiking by myself (although I totally would have), so I was ready to give in and give up.  However, another group of hikers were on their way down, and told us that we were so close to the top and we might as well keep going.  So keep going we did.
And we made it to the top!
It was almost harder coming down, with the slippery rocks and lack of anything to hold on to. Almost.
Personally, this hike was the highlight of our Yosemite trip.  For me.  Ask the young 'uns and they may have a differing opinion.  But there's always a sense of accomplishment when you make it through a challenge such as this.  I kept telling the kids that they had everything they needed inside of them to do this.

That, and "Slow down!"  "Keep to the right!"  "Careful!"

2 comments:

Portia said...

Guess I'm at an age where I do not need this type of accomplishment. Just getting through some days is enough for me! ;-D

Malissa said...

Good for you ladies!! I think I'd hesitate without the men. Looks like you had a great time!