Monday, August 23, 2010

Hit list.

With the inheritance of two of my grandmother's blankets, including one the kids and I had made for her, my puny little basket was overflowing. Time for a new set up. I wanted a cedar chest. But I didn't want to pay for a cedar chest. Enter the master craigslister, Jill. She has found numerous bargains by using cragslist. I looked a couple times for a cedar chest, but hadn't really found anything. Then late one night she IM's me that a cedar chest (in Garfield Heights, east side, yikes!) was just posted...and it was FREE! I immediately email the person, and after a series of emotional ups and downs (suddenly the post said "pending pick-up" but I hadn't gotten a response to my email yet!) I connected with the owner and arranged a pick up time.

Turns out Garfield Heights isn't as far away as I thought. On the way there, I thought Oh shoot! I don't have any money! And then I remembered Oh yeah. I don't need any. Yep, there's a crack on the lid. But I am pretty sure it's antique. It has beautiful accents, and I found out online how to freshen up the inside--just a light sanding of the cedar. It smells great and looks great in the corner.

Can you even see the crack???
My grandmother's blankets, right on top, with plenty of room for more!
I love it, and I love that Jill knows how to work craigslist.  The price was definitely right on this beauty--it was a hit!

4 comments:

Portia said...

Yes! It is old!! It looks like the one grandma has and the one grandpa Morton made in high school!
Are those hinges on the top?
Way to go Jill!!

Jill said...

so glad my addiction to CL benefits others. i think that was my best find yet. it'll be hard to beat!

Malissa said...

Wow! What a wonderful place to put your grandma's blankets! Patience pays off!

Julie said...

quite impressed by your find! It looks beautiful.