Wednesday, August 11, 2010

...to the Monterey Bay...

First on my list of California activities this summer was the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  I remember a couple field trips there as a child, and I was fascinated by it.  In fact, for a few years I was set on becoming a marine biologist.  Plans change, but I always remembered the aquarium as an enchanting place for a young mind.

On previous trips to California, our four young minds had always been too young.  Disneyland, yes, fish, no.  I wanted the kiddos to be old enough to really enjoy it (by golly!), and I decided this was the year.  Mom found cheap tickets on craigslist, I found a cheap motel on Hotwire, and we were good to go.

The kelp forest was just as I remember it.  Peaceful.  Mesmerizing.  Hard to photograph.  (OK, that may be a new discovery.)
And still with the scuba diver who feeds the sharks.

But there were some other things I didn't remember.  Maybe new exhibits?  Maybe a poor memory?  Whatever the case, it was incredible.  There were:
schools of sardines
jellyfish
seahorses
sea otters
hammerhead sharks
and these things.
You could "walk under" a tidal wave
and touch a sting ray.

Right outside the aquarium was a great burger joint (with the best french fries I have ever had!)
and lovely beach views.
We saw the entire aquarium and still had time for some exploring on the beach while Grandma and Grandpa took a quick nap at the hotel.
We met up later for clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl.  A Monterey Bay must!
(Little did we know...this little fish market's clam chowder paled in comparison to the free samples we had up and down Fisherman's Wharf the next day...)


While I may not have the next Jacques Cousteau living under my roof, I think the kids were a perfect age to soak in all the beauty and wonder of California marine life.  And Grandma and Grandpa were there to share it with us!

2 comments:

Portia said...

somethin's fishy if people didn't enjoy THAT!

thekerrclan said...

That aquarium looks incredible! My family would love it. If only we had known...we could have added another 15+ hours in the car!