Tuesday, April 8, 2008

You know your sports-loving husband is rubbing off on you when...

1. you watch the NFL draft and are glad Brady Quinn is picked up by the Browns (and are even happier when he cuts his hair).

2. you are standing on your seat screaming your head off when the Indians beat the Yankees last year in game 2 of the ALDS (and you know what ALDS stands for).

3. you accept that the Cavs acquired that punk Ben Wallace because you realize it probably increases their chances of winning a championship.

4. you are rooting for the Patriots against the Giants (two teams you wouldn't normally care about) in the Super Bowl, and despite taking a short nap in the middle of the game, watch and enjoy the 4th quarter, especially because Eli got a ring of his own.

5. you have sat down to watch Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN.

6. you love March Madness and filling out those brackets, even when, for the first time in 15 years of doing so, you have neither one of the teams in the championship game.

-and-

7. you shout, "Wait for me!!" as you are running into the living room to join the kids to watch "One Shining Moment," and you start to tear up as soon as your hear the intro.

I don't know what it is about the NCAA tournament. Maybe because it is so pure, maybe because it is kids playing their hearts out, before all the money and endorsements and girls come, maybe because there is always an underdog who comes out on top. But it is a deeply engrained family tradition to fill out the brackets for Family Home Evening, to check our standings on the internet the next morning, and finally to watch that emotional montage the next morning (one of these days the kids will be able to watch it live).

As I write this, Andrew is in the living room watching it over and over. His father has rubbed off on him, too. But that's another post.....

2 comments:

Katrina said...

It's even MORE exciting when "your own" team wins the title, let me tell you! Of course, we picked KU to go all the way, but not with any of the teams that went along for the ride. ; ) What a game!

(I'll never forget the year Glenn helped me pick all the brackets for an office pool at the bowling company I worked for and I won the thing. I'd told everyone at work that I'd just picked them all on my own. They (especially the sports guys) were not happy! Thanks, Glenn!)

Glenn Franklin said...

I don't always get them right (I had Memphis this year). Reasons to love March Madness: one and done, close games, upsets, brackets, winter is almost over (in Cleveland anyway), and...wait for it....helps me forget that baseball is about to start!