Thursday, November 20, 2008

Alive and Kicking


Well, alive at least.

And kicking myself for not realizing how painful this little procedure would be.

Everything went well on Tuesday. I rather enjoy being put to sleep. It is an interesting process. I have flashes of memory after being given the first type of anesthesia: the nurses asking me to move to another bed, having my arms strapped down, the mask over my face. And then nothing until I woke up in recovery. Kinda cool.

I was still pretty drugged up when Glenn came in, but I fulfilled my responsibilities of eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom, so after a two second visit from the surgeon (I still am not sure what all they did), I was sent home. I went straight to bed. And then the big drugs began to wear off.

So I am left here with a 3-4 inch abdominal incision, feeling like my guts are going to fall out everytime I stand up. I've been through this before, having had two C-sections, but I did not think I would be revisiting those memories this time.

I think we may have turned a corner this afternoon, though. It was my third nap (of three) and I was able to sleep on my side. Being bed (or couch) ridden is much more enjoyable if there is more than one comfortable position to lay in.

And the pain has been tempered by helpful children, a willing husband, thoughtful friends, and loving family. Phone calls, visits, food, a trip to the store, and occupying Andrew have all been such blessings. And oh yeah--the Percocet too. Can't forget the Percocet.

7 comments:

Portia said...

So glad today was better. Didn't want to call...good thing I didn't...don't want to interrupt any of those 3 naps!
Love you!

Jill said...

Um... one question. Why do you look so good???!!! Gosh! It was good to talk to you today and I'm so glad you're feeling better. I was ready to change my flight to tomorrow! Love you so much! P.S. The word verification tonight is bedness. Very appropriate.

The Lassen Family said...

We were thinking about you yesterday - at Joy School - and asking around to make sure you have what you need. The word out there is "yes". And I'm not surprised. Everyone is so willing and helpful. I'm so glad things went well and you are recovering. Rest up!

Katie said...

Drugs are good..and I am so glad that you are feeling better! Nothing is fun about recovery, but I'm glad that you are on the way to feeling better! Let me know if you need anything!

Tacie Kerr said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend...albeit slowly. We're thinking of you....

Katrina said...

Glad to know all went well and you're recovering. Hope you continue to feel better and better!

Julie said...

I am glad you are healing. I am sorry it was so painful. Hopefully, the short term pain will be worth it when your long term pain is gone.