Monday, November 17, 2008

Shiver me timbers

This morning we woke to this:


The first official (at least for me) snowfall of the season. We may have missed one while we were in Florida. Wink wink. Now for some this sight is met with sighs of resignation and disappointment and feelings of gloom and depression. I totally get it and have felt the same way, but this year, I am trying to find a little silver lining in those low-lying, heavy gray clouds.

Reasons why the cold weather season may not be so bad after all...

1. Cobwebs and dust and fingerprints and other evidences of one's lack of house cleaning are not nearly as apparent in the muted, cloudy light.

2. After going grocery shopping, one can leave the groceries in the car, since the garage is probably colder than the refrigerator anyway.

3. The best food of the year is eaten between during November and December. Thanksgiving dinner (best meal EVER), fudge, pfefferneuse, cinnamon rolls, egg nog, and anything made with pumpkin. Definitely not summer cuisine.

4. Sweats (!) and other large, bulky, elasticised items of clothing are highly appropriate and even encouraged and cover a multitude of winter weather snacking sins (see #3).

5. The extra body heat from children (and husbands) who want to snuggle can be sought after rather than shunned as it is when both the mercury and the humidity rise. Often overheard during the sweltering summer months: Do not touch me! Get totally away from me! In the frigid winter months: I'm freezing! Snuggle me! Who in their right minds is going to argue with that?

Now look, I understand all the issues people have with the cold. Especially here in the black hole of Cleveland where the sun don't shine. I am a California girl at heart. I prefer to not wear coats or socks. By March I am sure I will be singing a different tune. But one thing that Cleveland has taught me is the true beauty of the seasons--four of them, not the two that Central Cali boasts. And I am trying my best to embrace the new season that is upon us with open arms, a blanket, and a nice cup of hot chocolate. And that would not work in July, now would it?

6 comments:

Katie said...

Your posts are always so inspiring! I am glad that it has finally snowed and I agree..March we will be wanting sun!
Also, you are SO right, the best food is Thanksgiving to christmas..yum!

Jill said...

I'm totally jealous. In fact, the other day I told Jake that the ONE thing I miss about Rexburg was the snow (except if it was still coming down in May). But I really didn't mind it. And then he said, "Well, you'll get it when we move to Ohio!" Oh yeah!

Jill said...

P.S. It was 72 here yesterday!

Portia said...

Why does everyone say California has only 2 seasons? We're definitely having FALL right now, you know we have a blazing summer, spring is pleasant and while we don't have snow, we do get below freezing more than once or twice during our "winter".

Just Lisa said...

(I have absolutely no idea what pfefferneuse is. And pumpkin in any form is beyond gross.)

I was 20 years old before I saw snow falling in real life. You know, enough so it would stick. I was in Colorado, visiting my cousin for spring break.

Oh yeah, and I wore shorts today! God Bless Califonia!

(OK, it was a little chilly in the shorts. But the news said it was going to be the last clear day before a cold spell and I wanted to make the most of it!)

Glenn Franklin said...

Winter without snow is like the beach without sand. I feel sorry for all people in warm weather climates!