Friday, November 14, 2008

Self-Absorbed

The theme for five whole days. Five days of doing what we wanted when we wanted to, a luxury we can't afford in our daily lives (thank you, Grandma and Grandpa Franklin, for taking the crew for us!)

All in the warm Florida sun, or while watching a sunset over the Gulf of Mexico, or falling asleep on an uninhabited key, or seeing the sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean. And I took about five hundred pictures of it all.

Of course, with there only being the two of us, there was no one to take pictures of Glenn and me together. Never fear. I made use of my prowess with my camera's timer, and may I say--man, I'm good. Who needs a professional photographer when you've got a button to push and ten seconds before the shutter clicks? I set that camera up everywhere-- deck railings, towels, signs, swim bags, even trash cans. I turned down offers from people willing to snap a shot for us.

We've got this under control, thank you.


If he weren't married to me, Glenn might think I am part of the papparazzi, constantly stalking places to perch the camera, saying Move over there, no--back, ok, hold it! But it was so very worth it, so very fun getting the shots just right, and we are so very grateful to have these money shots of our vacation.

Cocoa Beach at Sunset
Thank you, Wakulla Suites, for providing such great lighting on your deck
!

Again, the walk down to Cocoa Beach

Shell Key just south of St. Pete

Duh, ice cream, of course!

Clearwater Beach

We also made use of Glenn's long arms.
Only he can reach far enough to get us both in the shot.


More Cocoa Beach, camera poised on a surprisingly clean and unsmelly garbage can.

St. Pete Beach

Sunset at Redington Shores Beach

Now, obviously I took more than this. Do you really want to see 50 pictures of the same sunset? Or the 75 I took of the sunrise? How about the 30 I have of the various birds, shells, dolphins, sting rays, lizards, and other local wildlife? Nah, those are going in to a Snapfish book (thank you, Oprah--I knew there was a reason I kept recording you every day!). You'll have to come visit me to see it.

Because, really, those pictures are pretty good, too.

9 comments:

Nikki said...

sounds like you had a great trip!

The Lassen Family said...

Oh my, sounds like a dream trip! You've inspired me, though. Once I'm done being pregnant and nursing, we're off :-)

Glenn Franklin said...

when do we go back?

Chatty Family said...

I am so glad you set up the camera to take pictures with you in them. I love people shots, especially when the people are you!

Jonesy Rae Photography said...

Yay! I was just there a couple of weeks ago, and looks like you had much better weather than we did! I'm so happy you got a chance to get away without the kids. Happy, and yet oh so jealous!

Portia said...

That last shot is a sure prize winner! Submit it somewhere!

Terra said...

how fun!!!!!! I'm extremely jealous but I guess I need to wait a few years till Jacob is a little older.

Katrina said...

What a fun trip! LOVE the last one with you two in the sunset. Awweee!
Florida is on my list of places I want to go!

Max and Deborah said...

What great photos. Looks like you had a great time. I am sure the break from kids and drama, it was a nice break for you.