Saturday, December 20, 2008

Certifiable

With all twenty-seven of mine and Glenn's family members being in town this week, two big holidays (and I'm just talking Christmas Eve and Christmas Day), and a baptism with its subsequent lunch, food has been on my mind quite a bit lately. More than usual, if you can believe that. I have been trying to plan ahead and prepare, and most of that focus has been on cookies.

It is enough to drive a person mad.

Evidences of my mental decline:

Hastily scribbled recipes copied from the internet.
Cleaning the kitchen over and over again, only to have it end up looking like this once more.Hoarding the food in the garage, right next to the gas can and fertilizer.All-consuming thoughts of cookies and the incessant need to bake them.Along with the baking comes, of course, the sampling. Creamed butter and sugar are running through my veins. The extra layer of padding around my middle is composed solely of shortening, flour, baking soda, and vanilla. And a little cocoa powder and peanut butter. I don't think this carbohydrate and fatty overload is doing much to contribute to the sanity, either.

But no one is going to go without this Christmas. Trust me. The voices in my head told me so.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Yes, I always have to sample my treats, too. I have chocolate padding right now. I can't wait to add some yummy Christmas cookies to the padding. They look delicious! We are excited to be there soon!

Katrina said...

We don't have the crowd you will, but ditto everything else! I love baking, so you can imagine how many sticks of butter I've eaten! ha
Happy Christmas and Happy Eating!

Malissa said...

Wow, that's a lot of holiday goodness! I've skipped the baking this year and per the kids request we are dipping things into chocolate instead...pretzels, oreos, truffles, etc. I'm sure it's just as fattening as the butter:) Enjoy your family and the baptism:)