Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Leaps and Bounds

Hello my long, lost friend...

Since this is my first week of some semblance of normality, on Monday I thought I would give the treadmill a shot. Now, before you blow a gasket (Mother), we're talking very slow. Like 2 MPH slow. At first. But since molasses up in Vermont is flowing faster than that, I went up to 3 MPH. Too fast. I settled in at 2.5 MPH and near the end went down to 2.2. That was enough for me. But I felt so lame because not only did I not break a sweat, I didn't even break the 175 calorie mark. Just 173 for me, thank you very much.

Yesterday I had to be at the school, and as I am nowhere near being able to get up early for exercise, did not don the work out gear. I put on jeans instead--oh yeah.

This morning, just 48 hours later, I headed back down to that dungeon we fondly call a basement and hopped back on. I am happy to report several achievements:

  • I was able to walk at 3 MPH for the entire episode of "Party of Five."
  • I carried hand weights (ok, they were only 2.5 lbs. each) and did arm exercises as I walked.
  • I burned over 200 calories.
  • I was sweaty enough to need a towel! (I know, TMI, but if that is your problem, you probably should not be reading blogs.)

How sweet it is. How different I feel from two short (long) weeks ago. How grateful I am for a body that works, for doctors who can fix it when it doesn't, and for that miraculous process of healing. How excited I am to resume my morning runs with Melissa! Baby steps.....

2 comments:

Portia said...

At the risk of sounding like MY mother...."You better take it easy."
And you know, she was right! Moms always are!

Tacie Kerr said...

I'll be right there with you soon enough...as it stands now, my daily mileage on the treadmill (down in the basement!) gets slower...and yet, more difficult it seems with each passing day. Soon, I'll be thinking, "what the heck? I can't even walk a 20 minute mile?" But for now, let's just think happy thoughts like "BE BORN, BABY! BE BORN!"

PS - although it says his name, you may have guessed this comment did not come from Greg!