It was doomed from the start. Just not meant to be. We all know how the first cake turned out. And wouldn't you know, the second cake wasn't much better.
I simplified the plan, scaled things down. But there were just too many crumbs, and not enough frosting to fix it. And I was not going to make more.
Then while writing "Go Browns," I forgot the exclamation point, which I had added after "Go Cavs!" and "Go Indians!" But I had already switched frosting colors, so it was too late.
And then, this afternoon, we discovered this:
I mean, really. This must be some sort of a sign.
It seems this guy was the culprit:
But once again, appearance isn't everything. It tasted just as good, if not better, than a cake that looks like this would taste:
And once again, this guy didn't seem to mind a bit.
But I'm taking a good four months off. The world is safe from my cakes till April.
Sunday, December 7, 2008
This takes the cake, Part 2
Posted by Amy Franklin at 10:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ok, serioiusly, 2 cakes in 2 days--give yourself a break! I am glad he had a fun couple of parties!! Too bad we couldn't be there!
Glad you like the pb balls! Yes, let me know if you make the fudge and tell me what you think. I like it because it's different AND yummy.
Bummer about the cake, but you're right, especially kids don't seem to care and it tastes good anyway. But this is why I'm glad my kids don't really like cake and prefer big birthday ice cream sundaes--because I just cannot decorate a cake to save my life. Have you ever checked out this gals blog--look at all the stuff she does with cake pops (she was even on Martha). www.bakerella.blogspot.com
I made cakes like you do when my kids were young...it's a learning experience and the fam appreciates the hard work and they taste better than any cake you can buy. You did a great job! One thing I learned is to freeze the cake after you've gently rubbed all the crumbs off, frost the cake when it is frozen, then it frosts easier and not many crumbs in the frosting.
For the crumbs... heat some apricot preserves and then spread them on the cake... it will seal in the crumbs... and give your cake a nice hit of apricot!
You did fanstatic! How many moms do their kids birthday cakes after having surgery... or ever for that.
Way to make the rest of lazy wifes look bad.
Hope you have a great holiday.
Post a Comment