Friday, October 23, 2009

Goal-oriented.

Family scripture reading.

It's such a good idea, a commandment even, but trying to round up the kids after a long day of rounding them up for homework, dinner, and chores and then getting them to sit still or even upright is quite a task. One that I am very tempted to bag when it's after 8 o'clock.

But for the last couple of years we have been reading more nights that not. Not always happily, not always without distraction, not always without tears or bickering or raised voices. I would be willing to bet it was easier for the Gitmo interrogators to obtain info from their terrorist prisoners than for our family to get through just one verse a piece, yet still we trudged on.

Finally, this week, we hit a milestone in our Book of Mormon reading. And no, it wasn't that we finished the book.

No, this week we finished the book of Alma. All sixty-three chapters.

Three hundred and sixty-eight pages down, only one hundred and sixty-three pages to go. We're two-thirds of the way there.

Think we can finish before the leaves fall again?

Maybe if I can get some of those interrogators, we might have a chance.

3 comments:

Kimi said...

I love the picture! And what a fantastic milestone! WAY TO GO, Franklin Family! :)

Katrina said...

You are building the foundation for each of them to have their own daily scripture study. Planting seeds! Keep at it.
We have "family morning". Since the kids don't start school until 8:45, we get them all up around 7:00, showers, etc., then have scriptures, prayer and breakfast at 7:30. We read about a chapter a day. Certainly have much better days on the days we do it than those where it just didn't work out that morning!

Portia said...

Congrats! We're about in the same spot. I'll race you to the finish!
(I was hoping by the end of the year.)