Friday, October 16, 2009

News Flash: Exercise Stops, World Doesn't

With Glenn out of town, there were two mornings I couldn't leave the house to exercise like I usually do. So, even though there is a perfectly good treadmill in the basement, I made an executive decision. I just didn't do anything. I slept till 7, when it was time to get the kids up for school. And then today the kids were off school, so there was no way I was getting up earlier than the sun. Yet another day with no physical exertion. And no sweat.

This hasn't happened since our vacation this summer. And before that it was post-surgery recovery. But three days off in a row for no good reason? Not for a really long time.

And guess what? I feel fine. I have not suddenly gained five pounds. I am quite capable of doing that with the exercise, thank you very much. I have not suddenly been zapped of all my energy. I am still just as tired as ever. Was I more stressed this week without exercise? Doubt it. In fact, I haven't missed it at all. I think I could get used to this.

Aww, who am I kidding. I'm going to keep exercising because (sing-songy voice here) it's the right thing to do. And I kind of like it.

But the best part of all? No guilt. Not one little bit. Not even a tinge of feeling bad. Now that is a truly refreshing break.

(Would I feel this way after a three day break from cleaning the kitchen...?)

1 comments:

Katrina said...

Kevin is out of town, too, so I haven't been able to go out and do my exercise. I've been FORCING myself to ride his annoying stationery bike. Sigh. Love your write up here, though. I've skipped a few days. I sleep in a little (no school today), I put on my exercise clothes and tell myself I'll do something, treadmill (I don't like ours compared to the nice ones at the gym), but more often than not, I just don't get it done. Here I am, too, tired and just fine, thank you. ;) You rock, Amy.