Friday, March 28, 2008

My Proudest Achievements (for today, at least)

Here's to another lovely day of Spring Break! What exactly can a person be proud of on a day like today? Well--I believe I have found a chocolate chip cookie recipe that combines the flavor you want from using butter, but it has more of a fluffier texture like a shortening recipe. There is a TON of sugar in it, which never hurt anyone. This recipe won the "Best Chocolate Chip Cookie" title on the Food Network's Ultimate Recipe Showdown, a new favorite show of ours. You can find it here. After making three batches from three different recipes, I am proud to have found a winner.

Accomplishment #2? Getting Porter to take a nap. At my house. On my bed. With a total of 8 kids playing in the house (Porter being the 9th). Oh yes, this is major. Because Porter has not slept over here during the day since he was a baby, let alone on a bed (not a crib) with extra noise. The best part was that I laid down with him and got to watch him fall asleep--always a treat to watch a child transform into a peaceful angel. (Not that Porter isn't one while awake!)

So there you have it--doesn't sound like much, but when it's all you've got....well, you know.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Those cookies look YUM-O (especially since I can't have any)! I LOVE the Food Network and enjoyed the Recipe Showdowns. My parents have tried most of the entrees that one at TGI Fridays and really like all of them except the steak sandwich that had plantains. I think the chocolate chip cookie should have won over the spicy ginger one. Who is going to go to a restaurant and have a ginger cookie?
Your cookies look great!
Treeni

Katrina said...

AMY--Guess what? Rob himself (the maker of this radical cookie) has posted a review on the food network website letting everyone know that the food network has a typo in his cookie recipe and that the white sugar is only supposed to be 1/2 cup not 2 CUPS! Everyone has been commenting that the recipe is wayyy too sweet or has wayyy too much sugar and it's because it's a typo. Guess you'll have to try the recipe with the correct amount! While everyone is praising the cookie despite its sweetness, I'll bet it's even better the correct way. I'm a little fanatical about cookies, if you can't tell. I have found a lady that I love, she won the Pillsbury Bake Off in 2005--for a chicken and stuffing (made with frozen waffles) recipe, but her true passion is cookies. Her website is fun to read daily. She makes 1-2-3 recipes a day and posts pictures and the recipe. It's kind of fun, even if I don't bake quite that much. Check it out. www.cookiemadness.net She was SO happy to see/hear that there is a typo in Rob's cookie recipe. She has tried making it with sugar amount variations numerous times and always thought it was way too sweet. Her true passion is not only cookies, but chocolate chip cookies. She is trying to come up with what she thinks is THE best c.c. cookie. Everyone thinks she should get a cookbook going. Anyway, just thought I'd share.