My poor, sweet husband. He was so excited to give me my birthday present this year. That day was kind of a crazy one, with weddings and recitals and all, so the actual time for celebrating my birth was still obscure. Leah handed me the gift bag but I waited to tear into it because I just didn't know what was going on. Finally Glenn said, "Why don't you open it? You are going to love it!" It was all downhill from there.
See, long ago Oprah aired her "Favorite Things" episode, and my interest was piqued by a pair of sandals that are supposed to be comfortable and also give you a little bit of a workout as you wear them. What could be better? I was in the market for a comfortable pair of sandals that I could wear for miles since I don't do tennies in the summer. I briefly looked into them online but kind of let it drop.
AWKWARD!
Both Glenn and I tried so hard to get ourselves out of this sticky situation. We both felt put on the spot, never a good place to be. Plus, my dad, whom I think could have easily put himself in Glenn's shoes, was right there, so I think Glenn and I were doubly embarassed.
The best birthday gift of all was that Glenn and I eventually got on the same page, and I was handed another card--this time with the receipt inside--that professed Glenn's love for me. That's all the present I need. That and some Roxy flip flops I found for myself at Marshalls.
Thanks for a great day, Glenn, and for an even better life!
This picture courtesy of Mom, who watched all 7 grandkids (thanks!), and Melissa, who along with Nate, makes for a wonderful dining companion!

2 comments:
That picture of you and I are reason #37 why I continue to love you because I always know that everyone is looking at your beautiful smile and not the dopey look on my face!
Happy Birthday! We've been down that gift road before ourselves!
Post a Comment