Thursday, June 25, 2009

Stranded at the Swim Meet

As we headed to the rec center for the swim meet tonight, a severe weather alert interrupted our usual fine radio programming and the skies grew darker and darker overhead. The pool is an indoor one, so the meet would not need to be cancelled when the rain started, but it would mean some logistical changes. Normally the swimmers hang out and line up for their events outside. A bad storm means everyone moves inside. The kids lay their towels out around the baby pool and the lazy river and line up for their events in the corner by the diving well.

And since tonight I was helping organize those children for their events, that meant I was inside as well. In a hot, hot sauna of an indoor pool. That was a lot of fun for me, especially since I was meeting a lot of new people. Sweat dripping down your forehead doesn't make the greatest impression.

But in spite of the lack of room, lack of a separate PA system to call the kids over, and general chaos,I was having fun and things were going well. The sky continued to darken and then the rain hit. Hard. Along with the thunder and lightening. The storm was to pass quickly, so they continued on with the meet.

And then the lights went out. And then came back on. And then went out again.

It was at this point they decided to stop the action. Just for 20 minutes. I escaped the boiler room for the air-conditioned lobby and began chatting with a friend. All of a sudden I looked over and see one of my favorite swimmers in tears. It seems all the noise and confusion and darkness caused a rise in anxiety. I reassured her we were safe in the rec center, safer than if we got in the car and drove home in the storm. We wiped tears and hugged and she went back to hanging with her friends by the baby pool.

As the meet ended so did the storm. Both were pretty unforgettable.

Since I have been working at the last couple of meets, I haven't been able to take any pictures. But I have some video from the first meet that I will be posting soon.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

That was a little bit scary! I liked when the lights went out and the people in there went "EEEEEEEEEEEE"! That was my favorite part of the storm at the swim meet! That was AWESOME!! I could hear them from out in the lobby the first time the lights went out! After the second time the lights went out I wanted the lights to go out again so I could here them screech. That was so funny! Or did they scream the first time. The screaming I heard might have been something else! I don't know. Anyway. That was a "fun" night though........

Julie said...

Our pool is indoor and so very hot in the spectator seats. I like to help becaues it is cooler by the pool. Plus, as a timer, I get splashed which helps cool me off.