Well, here we are again, back at square one. Once again, a promising Cleveland sports team has fallen short of a championship. Even with the best record in the NBA, the coach of the year, and the league MVP, our city won't be representin' in the finals.
But there were a couple new fans in town this year. Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Barnes joined the ranks of the millions of Clevelanders who avidly watched Lebron and the gang try to capture the prize. It happened one pizza and movie night, the night of Game One against the Magic, when the Chatty kids were sleeping over at our house while the Chatty parents were heading down to the temple. I suggested that Jill and Jake put Jenna to sleep in my bed and hang out for the game. Despite the loss, we had fun, and Jake was hooked.
I invited them back for Sunday's Game Two, and like the Cavalier's season, the rest was history. We shared every other night together, until nearly midnight, rooting on the Cavs. We all screamed (and I mean SCREAMED, who cares if there are five sleeping children upstairs?) when Lebron hit The Shot in Game Two (which I have to say was one of the most exciting moments of my life). We commiserated over the Game Three and Four losses. We were sure the Game Five win was the turning point. And we quietly took in the Game Six loss that ended it all.
Through it all, I was most impressed with how Jake held his own with my sports-fanatic, statistics-spewing, die-hard husband. I think he'll fit in just fine around here.
I'm just sorry that Cavs playoff fever ended up being much ado about nothing.
Some curses aren't ready to be broken.
Welcome to Cleveland, Jake.

4 comments:
oy. For me the series was over after game 4 to try and help me adjust to the disappointment when the Magic won their 4th game.
I echo all of your sentiments...even to the point of screaming and fearing I'd wake the chittlin's...I held out faith until about 2:33 left in Game 6 when they were down by about 16 or so....I BELIEVE in miracles. After all -- I saw THE SHOT. (OOops - better be careful - I almost published this with an "I" in "SHOT" rather than an "O." It was purely accidental...although it might subconsciously describe how I felt about the end." Feel free to delete this post - I realize it's a family-friendly blog. :)
It was disappointing for the Cleveland fan in Utah. Stupid Orlando! Maybe next year....
Post a Comment