Our family has started a Sunday night tradition of popping popcorn on the stove and eating it while watching a show (although since we are working on our Sabbath Day behavior, it is now old home movies). Normally, this is a pain-free experience. But not tonight.
I was standing in front of the stove, shaking the pot of popping corn. It was starting to overflow, so I went to dump out some of the popcorn into the bowl. And of course, a couple errant kernels went flying. And one just happened to go down my shirt.
Can I just tell you that those puppies are HOT??
This kernel was lodged between a certain undergarment and my tender, delicate skin. Skin that has never before seen the light of day. It may as well have been a hot poker or piece of flaming coal searing my sternum.
And then I didn't know what to do. I was screaming from the pain, but I was also holding the pot and knew that I wanted to get that back on the burner so the rest of the corn could finish popping. And I wanted to get the salt shaken onto the popcorn while it was still hot. Why that was such a concern I really can't say. You would think that getting the smouldering little ball of fire off my chest would be priority number one.
Then I was caught in the dilemma of how to get it out. Do I reach down? Here's a tip for you: don't try to reach down. It just moves the kernel around so that more sensitive skin can share the joy of white-hot pain. No, it is best to pull all clothing away from the body so that it can just drop out. I learned that the hard way.
Now, two second-degree burns and some aloe vera gel later, I am sitting comfortably with my small wounds. And sorry kids, there will be no pictures for your enjoyment. This is a family blog. Shame on you.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
A burning in the bosom
Posted by Amy Franklin at 8:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Hahahaha!! That is hilarious! Glad you're okay. "Burning in the bosom." Haha! I can't get over it.
Hot puppies? That's a new one!
Oh...you meant the popcorn kernels.
Ouch! I hope you are healing well. Thanks for giving me a good laugh today. :)
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.... That made my day! I can totally picture you!
Thought this one would have been titled the "Family Dance" :)
Yep, definitely a great snicker for the day. Thanks, Amy.
And can I just say two words for you? Microwave Popcorn.
No really, it's SO much better on the stovetop.
Sorry about the burning....
Better pop next time.
Oh OUCH! But your writing style makes it almost enjoyable to read about. Is that mean to say? I hope not - because it is a sincere compliment@!
Post a Comment