I tried something new for dinner last night. Crab cakes. I had a really good one in Florida last November and thought I'd try to make them on my own. Please keep in mind that neither I nor anyone in my immediate family are very well-versed in the finer points of seafood. In fact, we pretty much never eat it. But it is always appropriate to try new things, and despite my worries that only 1/6 of those around the dinner table would be eating what I was serving, I forged ahead.
This--is how they turned out. And this is what everyone ate last night. And when I say everyone, I mean everyone. Including--wait for it--GLENN. Mr. Picky Eater Extraordinaire. He ate it. All of it, including the zucchini, and he liked it. Hey Mikey!
Now the children weren't so sure, but they all ate it. A bit grudgingly, but they ate it. They couldn't have more pierogies if they didn't. And besides, it take several exposures to a new food before a child decides he or she likes it, right? So yeah, we'll be having these again.
And I think we will be needing a garden with some zucchini in it this summer. Because when there is a veggie Glenn likes, I have got to run with it!
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Watch out for flying pigs.
Posted by Amy Franklin at 9:38 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
to quote Jordin Spark, "one step at a time"...
My mom knew it was truly love when I not only cooked liver for my husband, but finally ate it. I guess Glenn if showing true love by trying things that his mom could not get him to eat. There is hope for the guy yet.
I love crabcakes and yours look delicious! Score one for the kids (big and little) for trying something new!!
I've branched out from only halibut to salmon being okay, but crab cakes. Hmmm. I know people love them and if presented with one, I would give it a try, but most shellfish are just too fishy for me. Way to go getting the whole family to eat it. Even Big Boy Glenn, eating his veggies! ;)
Looks great. You'll have to post the recipe. Maybe I'll have the same luck with my family.
The bonus is, zucchinis are so easy to grow. I applaud your ability to develop Glenn's tastes :) Veggies and seafood...I alost fell out of my chair!
Post a Comment