I, a seasoned television viewer, am not often caught off guard by the shows I watch. There are previews all week long; the internet is ripe with rumors and spoilers. Sure, there is always a sprinkling of plot twists and a handful of blindsides or unexpected voting results, but generally I just cruise along in my television bliss.
BUT-occasionally there is a moment that is so shocking, that comes so completely out of the blue, that makes me fall in love with television all over again.
Case in point:
- ER, May 11, 2000. Carol Hathaway goes to Seattle to reunite with Doug Ross. And George Clooney actually came back. Best moment in television history, hands down.
- 24, January 31, 2005. Jack Bauer is in trouble, and calls the "only person [he] can trust." Who could it be? It's Tony Almeida, embittered ex-CTU agent! Sweeping in to save the day! (Or at least the next five minutes--this is 24, after all.)
American Idol, March 5, 2009. The wild card show.
I am all about Anoop Desai. Consequently, I experienced the lowest of lows when Simon revealed that the third Final 12 spot belonged to Matt Giraud. Had I really seen the last of 'Noop Dogg?But then.
The sun shone, birds sang, and I screamed. They were making room for Anoop.
So now, after a shaky start (I was really not too happy with the Final 12 selection process this year), I have fallen in love with American Idol. All over again.

2 comments:
I heard you scream all the way up in my room with the DOOR SHUT!!!
...and 3 hours later during a delayed broadcast on the west coast...another scream rang out!!!
Post a Comment