Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Color Me Oriented

Today was Parkside orientation! I took Emma and Leah up to the school and the big event was getting locker assignments. And then trying to figure out how to work a combination lock to open those lockers. I knew the girls would be using lockers, but for some reason I never thought about how they would need to get into them. Like by remembering a combination. Something I still occasionally have nightmares about. You know, the whole forgetting-the-combination fiasco? Yeah, it still haunts me.

Of course, I immediately transfer my phobia to my children and have visions of them stressing out and crying and freaking because they can't get their lockers open. But I kept my concerns under wraps and watched how after a few tries they had it down pat. And these two have minds like steel traps, so I am sure they can't even conceive of forgetting their combo. The school also encourages students to come back over the next couple days to become more familiar with the whole locker situation, so come Wednesday, the official first day, it will be smooth sailing.

We met their home room teacher, who is very nice and very young. I was grateful for both. While I had nice teachers growing up, I don't think I ever had young teachers. Every single one of them could have been my mother if not my grandmother. Which really has no bearing on the nice factor, but I also like young. Maybe a bit easier for kids to identify with? Whatever the case may be, I think we are in for a really good year.

I sat through the little 20 minute presentation and this town crier had a hard time keeping her composure. Surprise, surprise. When they put an overhead of the daily schedule up on the screen, my first thought was I need to write this all down. But then I realized that this is Emma's and Leah's schedule, not mine. They are responsible for getting to where they need to be when they need to be there. And I looked over at them and was again struck by how they are growing up. It was scary and exciting all at the same time. I was able to hold it together until I was relating everything to Melissa, when I just couldn't hold it in anymore.

Another milestone reached....sitting up, walking, talking, riding a bike, and now, at the age of ten--using a combination lock. My, how they grow.

2 comments:

Portia said...

I'm just not sure about this whole blog idea. Yea, it's great to know what's going on, but it's misery to not be where the action is! We are all having a lot of mixed emotions right now, aren't we. No doubt Emma and Leah will handle it the best of all of us!

Katrina said...

Are the girls going to be in middle school for 5th grade? Wow. Scott is also in 5th grade, but it's just part of an elementary through 6th. He's not ready to grow up anyway, so it's good. He does switch with another 5th grade teacher for some subjects though. I'm glad because I wanted him to get the male teacher and he didn't. But he does get to do some things with him. I was interested to see how they would interact as teacher/student with a male teacher as Scott has always had females.