Sunday, August 3, 2008

There's no crying in baseball...

...unless your the mother of a little boy who has the love of the game in his blood, who plays his last game of his first season with his heroes Zack and Tyler cheering him on, who swings at every pitch, who covers home plate on every play even though there's never a throw, who regards his first trophy as if it were made of solid gold. Moms can read their kids' faces like a book, and I could see every single emotion that passed over Andrew's last Wednesday night. I watched him and understood it all, and it was overwhelming to me. To see your child doing something he absolutely loves with all his little six-year-old heart is a beautiful thing. To have family supporting him throughout the season makes it even better.

This is Andrew's last at bat of the season. He was disappointed that he did not make it on base, but he had a great slide and he did a great job fielding the ball in the next inning.



I am not eloquent enough to really describe my feelings that evening. Outsiders would call me silly, overemotional, dramatic. But moms will know. When it comes to your kids, something as random as baseball can bring you to tears. Hey, I'm just a mom being a mom.

8 comments:

Portia said...

Great season, Andrew! Many more to come!!
(Amy, I know the feelings. I used to get so nervous when Stephen pitched!! I'd just shake inside! Same thing happens whether it's running, speech, spelling bees, drama, swimming, water polo, soccer.....you name it....moms feel it!)

Glenn Franklin said...

...Andrew also had an RBI on that last at bat. Not sure if he knows that.

Katie said...

Aww, that makes me all the more excited to have livi play soccer this fall! It is a mom thing! :)

Nikki said...

Oh I totally agree. I get all teary- eyed when ever the boys do well at baseball, or anything. I guess I am a proud mama. My boys love their trophies too and seriously will clean them a lot. It is hilarious

Terra said...

so your not silly cause I almost cried reading your blog about Andrew and he's not my son. But just knowing that if Jacob is anything like his Dad he'll be the same as Andrew some day touched me.

Tara said...

I totally understood what you're were trying to say...I can't wait for my kids to do some great things like that...how exciting!

Jill said...

That made me cry because I wish I could be there to see all his games. But I kinda get what you mean about seeing your kids love something and be successful at it. Shoot, I got teary eyed when they handed Jenna her ribbon for swimming! I also cried when I read about the girls' swim meet. Your kids are so talented (must get that from YOU!)

Julie said...

we loved being there and being able to cheer him on. It is fun to watch him be so into the game.