Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Breaking Dawn

Or should I say breaking my kneecaps before dawn. With the advent of the new school year, Melissa and I have had to move our run time up to 6:00 am. This means we are out before the sun comes up. This means we are jogging along uneven sidewalks in the dark. This means it was only a matter of time before one of us biffed it big time. This morning, it was my turn. I started the season off right with a very graceful trip, fall, and roll to the tree lawn. My knee-jerk reaction (pun intended) was to melt into a puddle of tears. And since we were less than a mile into our run, it would have been very easy to just turn around and go home. But I didn't want my alarm to have gone off in vain, so we walked a bit, I wiped up the trail of blood trickling down my leg, and then ran the rest of our route.

I'm no worse for the wear, just a bit sore. But it is hard to tell if that is from falling this morning, my {strenuous} Tuesday/Thursday body sculpting class, or just the general aches and pains of old age. Whatever the case may be, a war wound like this was the draw in getting Andrew out of bed this morning. So worth it.

6 comments:

Chatty Family said...

I love the sweat and blood first thing in the morning. It was about time it was your turn! Now I know I am not the only one! It was perfect tripping conditions this morning.

Nikki said...

all I have to say is that I too am healing from an injury that looks almost exactly the same as yours. Hopefully I'll be able to wear shorts again soon! Hope it heals quickly!

Katie said...

Ouch!! Although, if I were stupid enough to wake up at 6 a.m. you would probably be visiting me in the hospital. I DON'T DO MORNINGS! ;) (I do admire you though!)

Portia said...

Try running in the street! Or pursue that public service office (see previous post) and get your sidewalks repaired. The citizens of Westlake would thank you.

Katrina said...

Ouch!
I did that back in April or May on one of my early morning jogs. Scraped up my elbow good and bloody AND the knee jobbie. My knee also turned to a huge bruise. It took forever to go away, like two months.
I was SO embarrassed, by myself and on a busy street, towards the end of my run, it was almost 7 a.m. with lots of traffic. Of course, no one stopped to see if I was okay. I jumped back up and headed home (7 minutes away--in quite a bit of pain.) Oh, the things we do!
Totally cute mac n cheese cake!

thekerrclan said...

OUCH! More power to you for finishing! (I fell when I was pregnant with Brynnley - and I have a whole new appreciation for my kids when they fall and scrape themselves on the cement. It hurts!)

How was the mac-n-cheese cake?