Tuesday, September 23, 2008

WARNING: This mom does not read warnings!

Andrew has been sick, but he is a tough one. Doesn't want to miss out on anything. Doesn't complain too much. Definitely doesn't want to go to the doctor. But after he started saying his ear hurt over the weekend, and then after he suddenly stopped playing with his cousins and friend and climbed up on my lap yesterday afternoon, I decided it was time to take him in.

Our appointment was for 9:00 this morning. And sure enough, double ear infection. One ear so bad the eardrum may have perforated slightly. Poor guy. We got the prescriptions, dropped them off at the pharmacy, and headed to the school for the PTA meeting. See, at this point he was doing ok. I knew he wouldn't be heading back to class, but he could sit with me for the meeting, we'd pick up the medicine, and head home to get settled.

And that's what we did. Only he seemed to get more lethargic and feverish as the meeting wore on. And I didn't realize he hadn't had breakfast. My only thought was to get the first dose of antibiotics in him and get him to bed.

He slept for a little bit, and when he came down he said his tummy hurt. Then he started crying his tummy hurt. Then I asked him if he thought he was going to throw up, and when he answered "I don't know," I promptly directed him to the bathroom. He did the deed, and I knew immediately what the problem was. And then when I finally pulled out the prescription information that said to take the medicine with food, my fears were confirmed. Why on earth did I think I could give a kid Augmenten without any food in him? I feel so bad that not only did he have to endure that discomfort, but we also lost the first dose! Down the toilet.

I can only hope that my kids survive in spite of their air-headed mother.

4 comments:

Portia said...

Hey, these things happen. Hope you're feeling better, Andrew.

An said...

It is hard on little guys to have these things happen. Poor little guy, hope he is feeling better!

Stephanie said...

What a bummer! Get well soon, Andrew!

Julie said...

Bummer for Andrew! Zack is very similar in the sickness department. He doesn't want to admit being sick. I took him in once for a well check to find out he had a double ear infection. I had no clue.