....is an equally amazing woman!
After reading Melissa's post today (to which I wholeheartedly say AMEN), I felt inspired to write about my dad's other half. Because, as anyone who knows them can attest, the two go hand in hand. My mom and dad go together. This is the first thing I love about them....they have been the best example of a united team, an equal partnership, a supportive, loving, and eternal marriage that I could have ever had. Never once in my entire life have I ever doubted the solidity of my parent's marriage or their love for each other. That has been and remains a constant for me. It is definitely something to aspire to.
So, my mom...has taught me how to stand up for myself, to be honest, to not put so much pressure on myself as a mother, to cook and keep a clean house (or at least a strong desire to have one in my heart), to be more patient with the kids, to find a good bargain, to appreciate good haircuts, to have adventures and enjoy planning trips and traveling, to accept and faithfully serve in church callings, to be a decent Boggle player, to not worry about the fat grams in egg nog, and that diaper bags have many uses. Of course, I could keep going. It's just a sampling of lessons I have learned from her.
As a grandma, she's better than I could have imagined. She cares about each of her grandkids individually and tries to give them each personal attention and one-on-one time with her and Grandpa. She treats the kids with respect and talks to them as the important people they are. She always has presents in her suitcase when she comes, and the kids love it when she opens it up and hands them out. This year for Christmas we suggested that instead of lugging gifts out here she take the kids shopping (something the kids LOVED!!). She was remarking how hard it was to not buy stuff for them when she would go shopping. But she still managed to have little goodies for them to keep the excitement alive. It was fun to see Emma, Leah, and Sydney reading the "Stories From Oz" book together during the cousin sleep over.
During her visits, you can always find her doing puzzles with the kids, encouraging "poker faces" (I still don't really know what that's all about, but the kids love it), reading to someone, having huddled meetings with the kids, playing "Button, Button, Who's Got the Button?" and other games, and having "formal night" (another tradition she started but that we didn't get to do this time!).
She is quick to help with the dishes, but doesn't butt in on parenting issues (we wish she would more!!!). She has helped with every birth, but isn't afraid of the rowdy teenagers she works with. She loves a lot of the same TV shows I do, but don't ask her to remember a movie. She hated the idea of me coming out to Ohio, but now entertains the thought of coming out here herself. She has faced many challenges and trials in her life, but has never lost hold of her faith. She has been not only a wonderful mother, but is now a great friend.
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Behind every good man...
Posted by Amy Franklin at 4:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
How nice! You guys have a great family... have to say, I'm jelous... but in a good way. I admire you all!
What a sweet entry!
You've been tagged! Go to my blog for instructions
Post a Comment