Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Stop the treadmill...I want to get off!

Catchy title, eh? This phrase kept running through my head as I was plugging away down in the basement. That, and "You're spending some time in the pain zone!" Not even Felicity and her circa 1998 college adventures could fully distract me. Felicity is a show that I never watched but knew I'd probably like...a young adult drama a la Gilmore Girls. Thanks goodness for TV shows on DVD and our wonderful library. It gives me a chance to catch up on worthwhile entertainment instead of staring at a cinderblock wall. I may have to give Dawson's Creek a try at some point to see what all the hoopla was about.

So Jill gently reminded me that I have not posted in a while and the only reason for that is there just hasn't been anything too blog-worthy going on. Read the following list of the happenings around our house and I am sure you'll agree.


  • There is a 1500 piece puzzle on our dining room table that Andrew picked out for us to do. He sure does know how to think big. It is maybe 1/5 done. But we are having a family Super Bowl party at our house Sunday and we need that table. A lofty goal that I am not sure will be met. Especially when Andrew takes apart the section that is done and puts it back together just for the satisfaction of finding pieces that fit.

  • Andrew noticed a cardinal in our tree on Saturday. Yay for the digital camera. He made sure to tell me that if I put it on the blog to credit him with spotting it.


  • Yesterday I had to talk to Brooke about something that I knew would make her upset. I found out she had done something wrong and it needed to be discussed, but I didn't want her usual reaction of breaking down, crying, and clamming up. I said a quick prayer, and the thought that came to my mind is to write her a note telling her that we needed to talk and that she could either choose to come to me that afternoon, or we could talk about it at bedtime. It worked really well. I think it helped her to not feel attacked and to have a little bit of control over the situation. Our talk was fine and we got somethings straightened out, and then she said, "How long is this talk going to go?" That's my cue--good night, Brooke! I am just grateful to know that Heavenly Father will help us with even the littlest things!

  • There is a family investigating the church and they have twin girls that are in Emma's and Leah's classes at school. The missionaries asked us (me, Glenn, Emma, and Leah) to go teach with them last night. What a great experience for Emma and Leah. I am proud of the examples they set.

  • I have been trying to use my time more wisely. In my head I go from room to room thinking of what I can do to improve it (that doesn't involve a sledgehammer). Yesterday I organized the wrapping paper area in the basement. Yeah, I know that Christmas was over a month ago. Now I am not saying that the entire house if perfect, but organization-wise, I am doing pretty good. And I am getting dangerously close to starting up scrapbooking again. Yikes!!

  • Tonight I am going to make a real dinner of fajitas that I am going to eat with everyone else. Lately I have been making the kids something and eating a salad later. That's fine, and I do still sit down with everyone, but I want to join in this time. I made some quick beans and rice last night to go with it.

  • Emma still has a cough, but I think it's getting better. It seems to get worse at night. We have been loading her up with honey (which she now thinks makes her sleepy). We are giving her Delsym, too, which is the only OTC cough medicine I think is really worth anything. Anyway, she has been sleeping well at night (go, honey!!) and she hasn't had a fever. I just admire the fact that she can down a whole spoonful of honey without gagging.

  • Brooke has been having headaches off and on for a couple weeks now. I called the TSC neurologist that we see and she is going in next week. I don't think it is anything major, since she had a clear MRI just last year, but with Nicole's experience last fall, I can't be too careful.

  • And finally, I'll be back on the treadmill tomorrow.....


OK, that turned out to be a long list. But none of those things made for an interesting single post. It seems like a bunch of nothing, but I do know that there are people out there who care about my life, and even if some are still lurking out there in the blogosphere, that makes me feel good. (A shout out to Mom, Dad, and Miss Karen!) So thanks, Jill for the reminder, and remember that I care about the little things in your life, too!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

How brilliant is that... writing the note to Brooke?!?! Caleb seems to be just as emotional lately when we have to have discussions or correct him. It gets annoying. I think I will have to try out your inspired idea. Sounds like it would work great!

Jill said...

A note was the perfect idea! You're so good. And just like any old muffin is spectacular with a mini chocolate chip, any seemingly mundane activity is blog-worthy with a picture and catchy title. So let's see your organizational skills!