Friday, January 25, 2008

Reflections on (or through?) a clean window.....

Yesterday I had a moment which I decided to clean the sliding glass door. I had not done this in a while, not just because I was avoiding the chore (I mean, who doesn't like to clean windows?) but because I hate it when the glass cleaner freezes. But I had noticed some smudges and thought I'd give it a go.

A couple of things struck me as I was scrubbing (yes, scrubbing) away. First, am I crazy to think it was unusual to have to use the kitchen scraper on the window? Yeah, whatever it was was on there good. So there I sat on the kitchen floor, scraping gunk off glass. Having burned some calories on that side of the door, I moved to the other, supposedly cleaner, side. I began to wipe, starting low, where it would make sense to find fingerprints. I stood up for a preemptory swipe of the upper half and saw a major splatter of who knows what at eye level. MY eye level. How did that happen, and how did I miss it? Where was I when that milky liquid splashed at a height above my children's heads?

Well, it's gone now, and no thanks to the Windex microfiber cleaning cloths, either. Those things are supposed to be streak-free and do the work of 12 paper towels! Ha! Do you know how long it took me to get the INSIDE of the entertainment center door clean? Give me a good Bounty paper towel any day.

As you can tell, I had moved my window-cleaning frenzy to the living room. Just a couple swipes to the various glass surfaces in the room, but I realized that I was removing evidence of my little Jenna. I got a little sad as I wiped away her little fingerprints from the TV. (Porter's were there, too but he'll be back soon.) I'm not going to get too sentimental over this--I am sure there is a country singer who has done that already. (Not a dig, I promise!!) And you know, a little elbow grease was worth it-- I have to say that last night's sunset looked amazing through my sparkling sliding glass door.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I'm sure Jenna will be happy to come back and leave her mark on your TV!

Jill said...

I've gone a whole weekend without a post from you. Having some withdrawls. Please post soon!

Jill said...

Well, actually, I posted on Friday but for some reason it went under Tuesday's date. So... HA! I miss you.