Wednesday, January 2, 2008

THIS is American Idol!

Oh how I love to hear Ryan Seacrest utter those words. I have been a fan from those long ago Kelly Clarkson days right up to Jordin Sparks. I have had my favorites, and when I feel strongly enough, I will sit on the couch with the phone in my hand pressing the redial button for hours, seeing how many times I can get through. When I was Young Women's president, watching the finale was our midweek activity. I actually agree with Simon most of the time, and I love how Ryan interacts with the auditioners. And in less than 2 weeks, it will start all over again.

Needless to say, my love of the show has carried over to the kids. We start recording the show for them once they get to Hollywood (by that time there is less bleeping and tactfully placed star graphics). Glenn and I watch the show the night it is on and the next morning we love to tease the kids that "We know who got voted off American Idol!" (We love to say Ace Young--he was so bad that they brought him back to vote him off again.) The kids get into it as much as we do! Bringing the family together through reality television--what could be better.


So when we were in California this summer, my brother introduced us to the world of American Idol Karaoke for PS2. He had borrowed it from a friend and it was the best! At first the only songs the kids would sing were "Unwritten" and "Breakaway." I cannot tell you how many times in a row we heard those songs! But when we got back to Ohio, we decided to get the game to share with the Chattertons. We have all had fun with it (and it has let Jill get in touch with her inner rock star). We broke it out today and we were happy that the older kids tried some new and challenging songs. They may not have gotten the perfect score and kind comments from Simon, but we were happy to hear some Pat Benetar and Heart,with a little Queen thrown in too. Our kids may never make it to Hollywood, but I would press redial for them anyday!


1 comments:

Jill said...

Haha. My inner rockstar will stay very deeply "inner." I love all the pictures you're taking! Do you find yourself looking at everything thinking, "How can I get a cool picture of that?" or "Let's do something so I can take a picture of it and post it on my blog." No, that's probably just me. Can't wait to see you Tuesday!!