Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bedtime Story

We don't read to our kids much. At least, not anymore. They are all independent readers now, and the days of me sitting with 4 kids and piles of books are (sadly) long gone.


Over the summer our school has a reading program that requires 20 minutes of reading for 60 days. Not a problem for Brooke, who reads every night before bed. Andrew, however, has never had the attention span of his sisters, and this independent reading has been a bit more of a challenge for him. He has done a good job, but last night he just wanted someone to read to him. So I told him to go pick out a book and Daddy would read it (bonus--time with Daddy!).

He picked out Strega Nona, and when the girls caught wind of this, they all wanted to listen. They love to have Daddy read this book. See, Daddy makes this book very funny. He does funny voices, especially a silly Italian accent for Big Anthony. The kids crack up at this. I mean, who wouldn't?
Do you see how clean our bedroom is?!?
We love this book. "Pasta pots" and "Simmer down, my pot of clay" are a part of our family's vernacular. But what is even better is seeing this dad read to his kids, and seeing these kids listen to their dad.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I LOVE your room! It looks so nice! Thanks for talking to me today. I miss you so much....

Nikki said...

Love that book.