Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day of Rest?

Around here, Saturday is our chore day. Everyone has jobs to do. We do this so as not to have to do much work on the Sabbath Day. Yesterday, due to some behavioral deviations, we accomplished even more work than usual. Child labor laws were NOT in effect in this household, as those under the age of 11 weeded the brick patio, did intense organizing of bedrooms, mopped the hard floors on hands and knees (this one made me the happiest because I may be able to delegate from now on!), and cleaned out the refrigerator. The child who was in charge of this last task placed every item from the fridge onto the kitchen counter. In doing her very thorough job, she misjudged how much space was left on the counter and knocked a half a dozen eggs onto the floor, breaking every last one. I calmly told her to clean them up, which she did.


While this was happening in one half of the kitchen, another child was on all fours washing the other half of the kitchen floor. The little Cinderella-in-training was told to come back later to finish once the fridge was put back together. However, this last job was kind of forgotten, so while the floor looked like the egg mess was cleaned up, it may not have been done as completely as an egg mess warrants.

Fast forward to this morning...I come downstairs after my shower to a horrible smell. Heavens--what is that stench?!? Well, I had a pretty good idea. After sniffing out the fridge (just cleaned yesterday), dishwasher (freshly run and needing to be unloaded), and garbage (empty--my fav!), I settled upon the thin, invisible layer of egg whites smeared on the floor. No time to fix it at that point, as we still needed to get ready for and go to church.

Some three-odd hours later, I found myself, on my hands and knees, with a bucket of Pine-Sol and water at my side, an old diaper in hand, scrubbing away. My most hated chore, and on a Sunday. A day of "rest." Not exactly my idea of relaxation. But that's the fun of motherhood, right? Doing things you'd never thought you'd do, especially when it comes to food, sleeping patterns, bodily fluids, and cleaning. As a mom, you do what you have to do, when you have to do it. No matter what time of day or day of the week it is.

So the smell is gone, and the kitchen floor is very clean. Make that was. The kids just ate dessert and got crumbs all over the floor. But I'm not cleaning it up this time. Not today. Not in this sweatshop.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Haha!! Can I just tell you how HILARIOUS you are?! I love reading your blog because you make me laugh OUT LOUD.
Alright, after reading this post, it has made me excited for when my kids get older and I can put them to work...and they will actually understand that smearing stamps, stickers, markers, etc is NOT my idea of cleaning the walls!

Portia said...

Are the kids trying out for parts in "Annie"? Does Grandma need to come rescue my little ones?
(Just kidding....work builds character!)