This week I decided to get to work on some little projects I wanted/needed to do. First was a dresser that we inherited from the house's previous owner. It is very old, and was looking its age. Since it's pretty sturdy, though, I decided to sand it and re-stain it. I wanted a very dark brown finish, and it turned out redder than I had hoped, but it is nice and smooth and shiny and almost looks brand new!

Before....
...and after!We also had been given a great bookshelf from my friend. It is exactly what Brooke's room needed, but it needed a coat of paint. Many coats, it turns out, as satin-on-satin is a slippery combination. But it matches the other paint in her room perfectly and looks great! Thank you, Jackie!
And finally--a surprise craigslist purchase! I knew that somewhere out there existed furniture pieces that matched our headboard. In fact, some friends of ours had the armoire in their living room years ago. I always wanted that armoire...something to tie some of the furniture in our bedroom together--it's a jumble hodge-podge of stuff. My previous craigslist searches had indeed turned up this very piece, but it was always priced waaaay out of our budget. Last week I saw two listed, one in Parry (who knows where that even is) and one in Parma--close but higher priced. I took a chance and made a low, low, lowball offer to the lady in Parma, and she took it! 

I cannot even begin to tell you how happy I am with this cabinet! It matches our bed perfectly, it hides the TV, it gives us extra storage, and caused us to rearrange our room in a great new way. I feel like the decor of the room has some purpose and cohesivness now, and I love it.

2 comments:
Whoa look at you go!! Those are some GREAT pieces of furniture and I love that you refinished them! Sounds like something I will get around to doing with some of our stuff...when we get a garage to do them in!! :)
Great finds!! Where's the energy rush coming from? (oh yea, read the next post for a clue)
Post a Comment